Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tree that Grows 40 Kinds of Fruit  (Read 4543 times)

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
Re: Tree that Grows 40 Kinds of Fruit
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »

Oh say what
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »

I wonder what tree he used as root stock for all those grafts... that's impressive....

Specialty

• Whats up team?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:45:46 PM »

This is actually very very common practice. It makes the fruit produce within a season instead of waiting like 3-10 years respectively.  Alot of the time here people graft specialty apple trees too crabapple trees and many others. There was actually a local farm here about 8-10 years ago (apple orchard) that had a major fire in there store it obviously spread into the feilds after about 2 years they were fully functioning again by using this basic method. I honestly wouldnt be suprised too see what kind of concoctions people will create that could/would be successful too the general market.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 11:25:23 PM »

There are many points to grafting.  I don't think that the purpose of this is for fast growth like most grafts, but as an artistic statement and the multiple fruits.  Supposedly he chose different fruits/nuts with his favorite blooms so it will bloom a specific color pattern as well.  Pretty awesome!
Cactus = Life

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 01:25:10 AM »

My stepdad told me he has a friend who grafts different flower color adenium obesum branches to adenium obesum bonsais and sells them on ebay for $100! Seems a bit steep for a price, but I imagine they are beautiful and apparently there's a market.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 04:54:20 AM »

Most show Adenium and Plumeria over here are have been grafted to a much older caudex. A few years ago I was at a show and the first prize winner sold for over 100,000 usd, the caudex was approx 6ft in diameter. Was pretty funny looking since it sat in a pot that was only 6 or 8 inch deep. The gentelman said he had been working on that one for about 30 years. If i can find the pics I took I will post them.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 01:18:21 AM »

Dude I do a bit of work for has a mango that has 30+ grafts on. Adds a couple every year, but a few drop and get rejected or get absorbed. The main tree was planted in the early eighties.
Big old turpentine/stringy stump rootstock, and branches going everywhere, but he keeps it trimmed at around 2m wide x 3m high.
Not very productive fruit wise at all, but a great way to store genetics for future grafting, which is all he does it for.
If your gonna have a crack I recommend using engraved aluminum or copper bands so you don't lose track of which wood is what when your pruning suckers.
He is getting on a bit now, in his early 90's and can't remember what half of the earlier ones are, just country of origin which makes marketing the fruit a hassle later when he sells on to the big city markets, due to trade mark/licensing issues.  ::)  Lots of "Thai special" "Indian special" "Philippine special" "Hawaiian special" heading down to Sydney/Brisbane markets each Christmas...

Bit off topic, but while I am talking mangoes, another old bloke I know has like a botanic garden of them, and used to do work for the DPI with their breeding program.
I reckon I have tried ~100varieties over the last couple years, and if your after a good one, you can't beat a "Bowen" or "Kensington Pride".
Best of the lot taste wise, and everyone I know that really knows mangoes agrees.  ;) 
You don't need a rootstock with them either, they grow fine straight from seed. Bowens/Kensington pride are 10/10 for taste, everything else is a 6-7 at best.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact