Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Very prolific oak tree?  (Read 5809 times)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Very prolific oak tree?
« on: July 08, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »

So over the past few weeks I couldn't help but notice in the complex of my apartment's lawn that there were a high number of oak saplings growing everywhere, in the lawn, flower beds (which had just been redone by a contractor) just unbelievable. At first I thought that this might be normal, seeing how there are a few large oak trees growing on the property, but after talking with the complex's landscaper he said that in the ten years he's been here he's never seen so many trees start in a single year, and that he has no idea how so many could germinate at once. There are literally hundreds of little oak trees just everywhere on the property, the lawn has been mowed twice now since I first noticed the saplings and these little trees keep on coming back, the landscaper was currently uprooting all the ones in the flower beds and had mentioned that there really isn't any weed killers that would work, nor would he want to spray it everywhere...

Has anyone a clue what this phenomenon is? Is there just a cycle in the tree's life where it every so often produces a mass amount of acorns like that?

Edit: I spoke with my complex's landscaper again, he believes the oak trees on the property are around 40-50 years old if that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:58:46 PM by TBM »

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: Very prolific oak tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »

Global warming!

Just kidding, I have no idea what could cause that. Maybe the conditions were wrong the last couple years and this year they were just right? Maybe it was just dumb luck. *shrugs*

I saw one sprout in my garden while weeding and wasn't sure what it was until now.  I thought it might be a passiflora sprout but I guess I was wrong. I'm glad I didn't rip it up. :)

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »

Lack of squirrels in the area?
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »

If any buildings or land was demolished most likely birds and squirrels will need to look for a new home.
Check the roots on them
If they're long than they've probably been mowed over for a few years.
Oaks spread like crazy if untamed. More plants to share!
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26:38 PM »

Lack of squirrels in the area?

Quite the opposite, there is an abundance of them around here. You can see the holes dug into the mulch by squirrels in the first and forth picture.

If any buildings or land was demolished most likely birds and squirrels will need to look for a new home.
Check the roots on them
If they're long than they've probably been mowed over for a few years.

The complex had recently cut down about 15 dying pine trees (all ~60 ft tall?); quite dreadful looking trees really, they all were planted at the same time but since they were all the same species (apparently not a very long lived pine tree) they were all dying simultaneously. They have not planted any new trees yet.

Oh and the roots are not very long at all, they are far taller above the soil than below the soil for the ones I removed at random.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:29:08 PM by TBM »

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:33:15 PM »

Probably just the perfect conditions for the acorns to germinate, I see similar phenomenon once each couple years with the White Oaks (Quercus alba) around here.

Judging by the pointed mature brown leaves on the ground, I'd say that's a Red Oak (Quercus rubra).

I like oak trees.