Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Taking the dive!  (Read 4516 times)

acacia_kid

• Trading Score: +7
Taking the dive!
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:33:52 PM »

G'day everyone, I have recently begun a fairly huge change in life direction recently. I was studying electrical engineering at university having a huge passion for alternative energy and eventually I realized nature was it's own model for alternative energy and became totally fascinated with nature. I had always loved science and absolutely loved nature as a child but as I got older I sort of out grew this. A powerful life experience awoke nature before my very eyes and finally I was able to perceive the wonder as I once did as a child. This didn't leave after the experience which is one of the best gifts of my life, well it was really getting back what I had previously I suppose. This was when I was 17 but it took until I was 21, 2nd year of university, that I realized that my chosen career isn't really where I want to be if I be really true to myself, so I left. I don't think I would have done this had I not found something that was truer to myself and my personal philosophy/spirituality which was permaculture.

When I first opened the permaculture designers handbook by mollison it was like I was reading my own thoughts that I had tried to express to others at university but they just thought I was crazy, naive or something I don't really quite know to be honest. It took a year for me to get honest with myself that permaculture was truer to my vision than electrical engineering but making the decision was one of the most empowering things I have ever done. I would rather live in peace with my environment so that I can do my best to enrich the earth like she enriches me. So I signed up to do a diploma in permaculture. It takes a year and a half to complete and I have to move north to undertake it so at the moment I am saving so I can pay for the course, I start next year. After completing I hope to find work in designing communes/urban living environments so that they can help the earth flourish but realistically there probably isn't enough demand for it yet so my thoughts are to travel the world to 3rd world countries and try get some experience in a range of climates while helping people who actually really need it.

I have been growing entheogens for about 3 years now and have come to build quite a collection. I hope to learn from you guys as well as share my own knowledge, and my seeds of course! Thanks for taking the time to read all this  ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:18:47 AM by acacia_kid »

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
Re: Taking the dive!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »

Hi Acacia_kid,

Welcome to STS and thank you for writing up an introduction.

Please take some time to poke around and read. The FAQ is a wonderful place to start because it details STS's purpose, rules, philosophy, and how trading works.

http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=15.0

Again, welcome to STS,
Hcc

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »

Welcome to sts! Seems like you'll fit in good here. I too am infatuated with the ideas of permaculture.
Spreading love!

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »

Welcome to STS! I look forward to sharing  :)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »

Welcome to STS.  Like HCC said please check out the rules and FAQ. 

Thanks for joining!
New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:25 PM »

Welcome to STS!

acacia_kid

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 03:23:19 AM »

Very sorry about the slip up there guys. I honestly did flick through the rules but it was more readibg the headings, I see my error and respect the rules.  Wont happen again. Thanks all for your kind welcome and I cannot wait to get to know you all better as my time here continues.

Happy growing!

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 04:21:11 AM »

No worries.  Anyways, you can easily become a full member by contributing in some way (adding to the plant/seed galleries, posting useful information) Please get acquainted with the forums, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the apology and again, welcome to STS! 
New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

cloud

• Trading Score: +16
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 05:31:21 AM »

...It took a year for me to get honest with myself that permaculture was truer to my vision than electrical engineering but making the decision was one of the most empowering things I have ever done....

I'd like to believe the electrical engineering skills you acquired will aid you in your endeavors with permaculture practice. Integrating your experiences into various design schemes can often lead to some fascinating insights.

....so my thoughts are to travel the world to 3rd world countries and try get some experience in a range of climates while helping people who actually really need it.....

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me. From my own experience I've often been blown-away by the knowledge (referring here to shared practical knowledge-base that has been generated through implementation and not solely a theoretical understanding) I've gained from those in less than ideal situations. Approach the situation with and open-mind and willingness to learn.

All the best,
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:33:41 AM by cloud »

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 05:33:20 AM »

Congrats on the full membership acacia_kid! ;)
Cactus = Life

acacia_kid

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 02:57:55 PM »

Cloud,
You are right in thinking my electrical engineering experience will help with my permaculture endevours, it's early days now but I can already see some fruitful connections mostly in the areas of Computer Aided Design as applied to permaculture but it's still early days for my ideas really. Maybe when I can give my ideas a more concrete basis I will start a topic about it.

Exactly, it's one thing designing for self-sustainability when there is existing supplies for food but in a 3rd world situation you'd really need to be on your game which would really accelerate ones practical experience plus the western world has so much food it wastes most of it, it'd be better to work on the food/energy security of nations less well off. They are the one's that will truly kick off the sustainable revolution imo. You sound like you have some experience with this sort of thing, care to elaborate?

New Wisdom,
Thank you, I was browsing today at work and was trying to figure out how I brought the chat window up and then I realized I had been promoted!  ;D

cloud

• Trading Score: +16
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 09:37:39 AM »

You sound like you have some experience with this sort of thing, care to elaborate?

I think my understanding comes from exposure to a few of the issues you touch on. I've been involved with an organization that provides training and skills development in establishing low-cost gardens (primarily in impoverished communities). I do get a bit hesitant when the terms "sustainable, sustainable development, sustainable revolution" etc are thrown around. Imo, the term is loaded with various connotations and ambiguity. Even with a carefully worded and thought-out definition of the term that is widely quoted, there are still different interpretations of what it should actually entail... but maybe that's a discussion for another thread.

That being said,

...They are the one's that will truly kick off the sustainable revolution imo.

There is definite potential.

Again, welcome