Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ethnobotany of select Legume trees. Need the knowledge.  (Read 7204 times)

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
Ethnobotany of select Legume trees. Need the knowledge.
« on: June 22, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »

Glorious day to all. Have recently collected a fair amount of seeds but am away from my usual library/lab or labrary so am in need of some knowledge with regards to some plants I am not very familiar with. Will post pictures of these plants eventually. Am a little brushed up on their info but am still vague.

Would love to know what peoples utilized these plants
How they are currently used
Source of entheogenic supplement
Synergy with other plants

Cassia Artemisioides
Jacaranda Mimosifolia
Cercis Occidentalis
Leucaena Leucocephala

Thanks for any assistance.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:22:20 PM by AcaciaAve »
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: Efhnobotany of select Legume trees. Need the knowledge.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:27:21 AM »

I would be very interested in any extra data about Ipil-Ipil,  Leucaena Leucocephala if anyone wants to shoot me a PM.

It is a very common fodder crop over here and I have access to heaps of seed provided the weevils don't get them before me. (most pods have insects eating the seeds and it makes sorting a storage very very difficult)
Here is some data >>>
This fella is know by as many different names as there are uses for it, including but definitely not limited to, Miracle tree, White Lead tree(due to the white color of the flower), Jumbie bean, Jumbay Bean, Koa Haole, Subadool, Guaje, Zagain, Atua, Petai Selong, Luyluy, Ipil-Ipil, Koa haole, Ginnemu, Ekoa, Wild or Horse Tamarind, White Popinac, Acacia glauca, Leucaena glauca, Leucaena latisilique, Mimosa glauca, Mimosa leucocephala and last of all, its correct scientific name, as of this moment "Leucaena Leucocephala".
Super fast growing tree with a very high nutrition component that includes a Nitrogen of 4.2%, Crude protein 25.9%, Calcium 2.36%, 0.23% Phosphorus, b -carotene 536mg/kg(VS Alfalfa's 253!), Gross energy 20.1kJ/g and the following levels of Amino Acids, Arginine 294mg/gN, Cysteine 88mg/gN, Histidine 125mg/gN, Isoleucine 563mg/gN, Leucine 469mg/gN, Lysine 313mg/gN, Methionine 100mg/gN, Methionine/cysteine 188mg/gN, Phenylalanine 294mg/gN, Threonine 231mg/gN, Tyrosine 263mg/gN, Valine 338mg/gN.

It's eaten quite commonly in India, Thailand, Burma, Cambodia, Laos and all through SE Asia as well as being used as a fodder crop world wide, especially in northern Australia.
The only thing to remember, like a lot of beans, eat them young, and cook them first.
The inedible hard black mature seeds contain high levels of "mimosine", an amino acid known to be a bit toxic to both people and animals.
Eating a diet of more than 30% of it (or anything for that matter) can cause serious health problems.
Young green pods, flowers and shoot are ok as the levels are minuscule, and heat destroys it all together.

Etc etc etc.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »

Acacia Glauca= Leucaena Leucocephala
Obsolete elegies.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »

Jacaranda mimosifolia is well known around these parts, I see them almost every day here and there around the city. Unmistakable as it blooms and soon both tree and ground are painted light violet.

Besides the use of the wood of jacarandá in carpentry and crafts (I had a guitar with a neck made with it) I've seen many notes reporting medicinal uses of flowers and dried leaves, sometimes also bark. Tincture or tea shows antibacterial / antiseptic properties and has been used to treat infections with E. coli, amoebic infections or yeast infections like Candida albicans. More specifically, there's traditional usage to treat syphilis, amigdalitis, disentery and a variety of acute gastrointestinal infections.

There's also reports of the bark used as a contraceptive, but sources are more dubious.

No remarkable entheogenic properties that I know of.

Spanish source with some information - http://www.biologia.edu.ar/diversidadv/fascIII/20.%20Bignoniaceae.pdf

I'll post more if I find other references that my notebook and vague memories...

Mandrake

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:54:37 PM »

Jacaranda mimosifolia
 jacarandá in carpentry and crafts

These are diferent species. Jacaranda mimosifolia (Bignoniaceae) is called Jacarandá-mimoso. But there are a Fabaceae genus (Dalbergia) with popular name Jacarandá (nice wood to instruments), like Dalbergia nigra (Jacarandá-da-bahía) a endagered specie.
In Brasil J. mimosifolia have major aplication in ornamental, and a low use as medicinal, but the wood is not resistant to carpentry.

Leucaena leucocephala was used here to improve protein in cow food. But Leucena have big invasive power.

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:21:55 PM »

Thanks for the info. I have heard Dalbergia Melanoxylon being used for musical instruments. Interesting that it's sisters are also called Jacaranda.
Sounds like a very helpful plant with pleasing foliage/flowers. Saw some from a distance and thought they were Acacias but the trunk is what threw me off.

So the seed pods of Leucaena Leucocephala are sold in local Vallartas. Got some and bbq'd them yesterday. Seed pod was alright when perfectly crispy but it was either too soft or too charred to be enjoyable. The seeds are yummy. Remind me of pumpkin seeds.
Have a few pounds of seeds collected so have food for the ages and trees to plant.

I also hear the seeds and pods of Cercis Occidentalis are edible.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
Re: Ethnobotany of select Legume trees. Need the knowledge.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 03:50:09 AM »

Ok. Am compiling more data for an ethnobotanical assessment of various plants in the San Joaquin region. First section is dealing with a few plants of interest. More will be added as information conglomerates.

Basically would love to see your insights and experience with any of these plants.
Have seeds of many of these plants too so send a PM if you would love some! <3
List of plants studied:

Acacia Baileyana
A. Berlandieri
A. Boormanii
A. Cultriformis
A. Greggii
A. Longifolia
A. Pravissima
A. Stenophylla
(beginning stages of Central Valley Acacia research)
Achillea Millefolium
Albizzia Julibrissin
Arundo Donax
Caesalpinia Pulcherrima
Callistemon Citrinus(Callistemon spp.)
Cassia Artemisioides(Cassia spp.)
Cercis Occidentalis
Citrus spp.
Datura Stramonium
Digitaria Sanguinalis
Eucalyptus spp.
Ipomea spp.
Ginkgo Biloba
Leucaena Leucocephala
Parkinsonia Aculeata
Phalaris Aquatica
Phragmites Australis
Salvia spp.(perennial and medicinal, not Divinorum)
Sorghum Halepense.
Verbascum Thapsus

There will also be a section where non-native and non-introduced plants' cultivation will be covered as well. Many plants grow well in this climate if cared for assertively.

Any info would be great to add to the compendium. Will be put out in "zine" format.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 04:10:05 AM »

In a Ethnobotany of select Legume trees can't miss Óleo-de-copaíba (Copaifera spp), one of the most medicinal Leguminosae (Fabaceae) tree in the world.
In the same botanic family there are Baru (Dypterix alata), Cumaru (Dipteryx odorata), Jatobá (Hymenaea courbaril)...and other medicinal trees.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »

Acacia greggii:

"Medicinal and Edible"

http://medplant.nmsu.edu/acacia2.html

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »