Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Faraday Cage Plant Growth Defects Review January 2014  (Read 7125 times)

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
Faraday Cage Plant Growth Defects Review January 2014
« on: June 15, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Re: Faraday Cage Plant Growth Defects Review January 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:16:04 PM »

It is an interesting idea, I wonder what will happen to that larger plant at the end of the video after it goes into the cage. I wonder if the screen cage impedes air circulation at all and if that could factor into why they die, although that wouldn't explain the plant in the chicken wire cage since those holes are big enough where blocking air flow isn't a factor.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:52:42 PM »

It is very interesting. Wonder if he has any experience growing plants or did a control group. I guess if his experiment held up, it would indicate plants are affected by electrical or the electromagnetic fields?

Adam

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:41:37 AM »

I am no plant physiologist but I could imagine that the abnormal electromagnetic field could effect electrical potential of the cells and therefore disrupt normal cellular activities.

Also DNA in a living organisms is very sensitive to electric fields which is why eukaryotic organisms go through a great length to protect their DNA inside a nucleus. For instance the DNA assembles with histones into a solenoid structure when going through cellular division, this solenoid structure is often studied in physics because of its unique electromagnetic properties.

So if this effects the normal cellular ionic potential it could reasonably effect DNA and thus normal genetic expression. 

just speculation though  8)

jimjim

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »

Doesn't really seem like much of an experiment..there's no visible light source, there's no control experiment and for his next experiment he's using only one test sample!?

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 06:45:46 PM »

Doesn't really seem like much of an experiment..there's no visible light source, there's no control experiment and for his next experiment he's using only one test sample!?

Exactly what I was thinking. 
Cactus = Life

acacia_kid

• Trading Score: +7
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »

Not sure if this is your video Gnosis but there is something that should be noted with Faraday cages. In theory they block out all electromagnetic activity but in practice faraday cages are only effective over a certain spectrum and will not block out all fields from effecting your setup. I'm actually more interested in the effect of plant growth when there are enhanced electrostatic fields as there is a fair amount of research done at the turn of the 19th century that indicates that electrostatic fields can make plants more disease resistant and possibly even bring fourth older expressions of the plant. For example fern spores subject to intense electrostatic fields have apparently grown into plants only found in the past, though this is not a practical fact I have discovered personally. If you wanted more information here's a good place to start: http://www.rexresearch.com/elculture/elculture.htm I plan to do some proper experiments when I move and get to have a couple of plots to maintain. Even if the faraday cage produced an effect it's impossible to conclude anything without an experimental control as others have mentioned. I applaud your efforts for experimenting but from a scientific viewpoint if you wish for reliable results you need controls, more test subjects etc.