Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mycoremediation  (Read 4166 times)

elstongunn39

Mycoremediation
« on: June 10, 2014, 08:00:03 PM »

Recently did a project on mycoremediation and thought I'd share it... just because it has some links to journal articles you may find interesting.
It's basically an annotated bibliography, nothing special, but it has some discussion of the various journal articles and their relevance.

The basic thing I get from a little bit of research about plant-based remediation (esp. phytoextraction) vs. mycoremediation is that mushrooms have far more promise for soil remediation-- they have wider and more diverse applications to various toxins and soil contaminants.  Mushrooms can hyperaccumulate heavy metals, which some plants can do, but plants generally need the help of chelating agents.  Mushrooms can break down a variety of organic pesticides and contaminants such as Polychlorinated Aromatic Hydrocarbons and Polychlorinated Biphenyls.  This is due to their enzymes which are suited for degrading lignin in wood, which has a similar molecular structure to some organic contaminants.  Actually, white-rot fungi can degrade lignin, while brown-rot mainly degrade cellulose.  This may be an oversimplification, just something I read in Paul Stamets' book Mycelium Running. They have a wide variety of enzymatic pathways for degrading contaminants.  Stamets says that they are sort of a first step in building an ecological process of remediation--first mycelium, then bacteria, plants etc...   
Many of these mechanisms are just being understood, and need far more research..

Anyone here have any mycoremediation or plant-based remediation experience?
I'm getting into this because I may try and squat and garden in some urban environments such as detroit, philly, or new orleans.

elstongunn39

Re: Mycoremediation
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »

http://archive.bio.ed.ac.uk/jdeacon/FungalBiology/woodrots.htm

Discusses the different types of fungi and their metabolism

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »

Thanks for sharing elstongunn39! I've had my interest in bioremediation (and mycoremediation specifically) piqued in the last year and am slowly learning more about it. I don't have a great deal of time to write at the moment but I wanted to share a couple resources you may find useful:

Mushroom cultivation for remediation. This was put together by the folks over at Radical Mycology. They have a series of YouTube videos that explain the process in a visual medium and are a great starting point for mycoremediation.

Another great introductory resource on urban bioremediation is a zine titled 'Grassroots Bioremediation 101: Toxic Realities and Radical Remedies'. I'll attach the PDF to this post for your convenience.

One more for now: Here's a talk given by James Wieser at Shroomfest 2013 (Telluride Mushroom Festival) in which he discusses a 'cold pasteurization' technique for use in remediating used coffee grounds and household paper products. Lots of great insights into mycelial behaviour.
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

elstongunn39

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 06:36:02 PM »

This is great, thanks!  Just starting to wade through it all.