Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Incandescent lights for germinating peppers?  (Read 7221 times)

elstongunn39

Incandescent lights for germinating peppers?
« on: June 08, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »

Wondering if this is a decent idea, to keep the heat up above 80 .  especially for the bhut jolokias I just got from MadPlanter.
I'm just a little cheap and don't want to buy a heat mat, and we've had success germinating peppers at pretty much room temperature in the past.
I guess if it's too close for too long it could destroy the seeds..
thoughts? alternative methods for heat?

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Re: Incandescent lights for germinating peppers?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:17:53 PM »

Is this a regular incandescent bulb or is this an incandescent grow bulb? If it's not a grow light, it may not get the proper frequencies of light, it may still germinate, but it can become too elongated trying to find light and seedlings can fall over... as for heat from the light, I'd keep any incandescent bulb at least a foot away from anything you're trying to grow to keep from burning anything, I've germinated seeds under an incandescent grow bulb before.

As for peppers specifically, they should be fairly easy to germinate as long as the seeds were stored properly.

elstongunn39

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »

just a regular incandescent lightbulb, not specifically for growing.  I did not think light spectrum mattered at all while the seeds are germinating--which is what i'm talking about.  I was looking for an easy way to increase soil temperature as the room temperature is around 68F and the optimal soil temp for the peppers is 80-85F

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 08:44:21 PM »

For the very initial stage of germination they dont need light. I've known folks who germinate them on top of their water heater where it stays warm. I'd put the container on a washcloth to buffer and spread out the heat, and remember to check them daily.
Or just do room temp, 68°F will probably only cost you a day or two in germination time.

Specialty

• Whats up team?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 02:33:06 AM »

I have personally never uded a heating mat for germination. There are very cheap simple ways to get around them. Currently the best diy ive figured out is the old style small christmas lights (non led) im talkin like the small 1inch bulbs that get wrapped around chrismas trees. Take a 1-2foot strand make sure the lights work. Get a wooden box (cardboard works too but wouldnt suggest it) fill the bottom of the box with about a half inch to an inch of sand line the top of the sand you just poured with the christmas lights and top off with sand to cover the lights turn the lights on let sit for 20-30mins to warm up the sand and you will get an even amout of bottom heat to help your germination. 
Happy growing

Tzabaoth

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +5
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:40:16 AM »

You won't need a full spectrum bulb for germination.  If you want to give some warmth consider using what you have; a heating pad on low, a computer that gets warm, an old tv, etc.  68-75 will be enough to germinate.  Once you pass the first set of real leaves you will need a decent source of light and the heat won't be as important.

Best of luck,

.: Tzabaoth