Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: blue oyster cultivation--general  (Read 7722 times)

elstongunn39

blue oyster cultivation--general
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:05:42 PM »

We bought a bunch of plug spawn for blue oyster mushrooms from fungi perfecti, cut down a tree they recommended (forget if it was aspen, beech, or what) plugged a bunch of logs, sealed with wax as recommended.  It's been almost a year.   Should the mushrooms be fruiting soon?  should we have been watering, or any other sort of maintenance?  or do we just wait?  according to fungi perfecti, blue oyster's one of the easiest types to grow
We're entirely new to mushroom cultivation--only vegetable, fruit and herb gardening so far, so I apologize for the broad ignorance...

goldenseeds

Re: blue oyster cultivation--general
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 06:05:02 PM »

It depends on your climate, if you have very dry long and hot summers its best to keep them most by partly burying them and water them every now and then. The time to fruit also depends on the size of the log's the climate(seasons) the temperature, my advise just keep them nice and moist somewhere without direct sunlight and you will be fine.

Tip
next time you inoculate do it in spring so that the mycelium has a full summer to colonize before winter sets in.

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 06:48:18 PM »

I've also read that the ideal time to innoculate a log is two weeks after being cut down. The tree will be just dead enough to not be trying to fight off invading fungi, but not dead so long that it's going to be colonized with a bunch of competitors.

I haven't tried inoculation logs myself (yet) so I'm not speaking from experience.. just repeating what someone else suggested on another forum.

goldenseeds

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »

There are some scientific articles that suggest that it doesn't mater, I inoculate anything i can get my hand on as soon as possible with no adverse effects. I had a alder tree that i cut up and inoculated over the course of a month with grey oysters, witch is very fast at colonizing, and the all the logs fruited the same time a year later. 

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:04:47 PM »

I'm so gonna get down on growing edible and medicinal mushies. Only have experience with these ones that stain this funky color when picked. Don't mess with that anymore but I still love them.

I'm a huge fan of edible species so growing my own is somewhere I want to explore. Only wish they were going already! Spring for plugging is the best? Thanks
Spreading love!

goldenseeds

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »

Why not grow oysters on straw its about as easy as it gets, and then start in spring with a nice collection on logs
shitake oysters enoki nameko and pompom blanc,

Or don't wait a minute and inoculate now and hope for the best, in my experience it will probably work out, its just preferable not to inoculate just before the temperature is going down to freezing before some of the mycelium has set foot on the log.

just go, its a great tasting hobby for you, and probably all your friends  :)