Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Kava kava  (Read 5208 times)

elstongunn39

Kava kava
« on: May 26, 2014, 04:29:45 AM »

Does anyone have experience growing kava kava in the continental U.S.?  Perhaps in a greenhouse, or indoors?  Is it a needy plant?  Just curious, because I was thinking about growing some for my own use, and I live too far north to even consider growing it outdoors.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Kava kava
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 05:00:41 AM »

I've heard that it needs a ton of root space, very specific growing conditions, and takes like 5-10 years before you can harvest the roots.
Cactus = Life

intotheimpossible

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 07:10:27 AM »

Yea kava is one of my plant ally's (?) and i have always wanted to grow it but was concerned to do so because I live in the north eastern USA. I do know it needs ample root space and possibly enough humidity, go read kava the pacific elixir and theres a awa pdf on growing different strains on the webz somewhere to help you learn.

elstongunn39

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:25:40 AM »

I would think it would need a lot of root space, as that's what you're growing it for--the rest of the plant is probably more hepatoxic.  I will check out those guides-- perhaps container gardening would work if I can get a deep enough container...

intotheimpossible

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 07:41:52 AM »

yea its just moar of a heat and humidity issue that ive always thought about but i know there are people that grow it up north here and people do grow it in Florida in the ground I believe

elstongunn39

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »

if anyone knows of any vendors selling cuttings, let me know!  I'm having a hard time finding any.  It seems to be difficult to ship w/ out damaging..

intotheimpossible

• Trader
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 08:24:22 PM »

Go ask around on the kava forums and they will let you know who has real kava cuttings and prolly even tell you how to grow it lol

t_tristani2002

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
  • Sapere Aude
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 04:10:18 AM »

I've looked extensively to buy cuttings online, and I've turned up zilch. I haven't seen the kava forum on here yet, do you have to be a full member?
~tristan

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 01:51:03 AM »

The Kava forum is a completely different website.
Cactus = Life

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 02:08:46 AM »

Yep they grow in the ground in south florida.  They like shade and humidity and they don't like wet feet.  Mine have done ok down to high 30's so far (never for more than a few hours and they didn't like it.. just survivable), I don't suspect they would tolerate a freeze. 

I don't know if it is a difference in varieties (probably) or the fact that one of my varieties gets some direct morning sun.. but the ones in deep shade are doing the best.  I've also been told by a local, who has a LOT of them growing, that the ones in deep shade flower and the one ones in brighter areas, not so much.

I've pretty much exhausted my divisions.. but should have more available for members in a couple of months.  Next spring, I'll have loads of em  ;D

Not sure how they would do indoors but possibly ok.  The air might be too dry for them but maybe not.  A few members will know better after this winter  ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:11:33 AM by SoulGrower »
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 02:12:24 AM »

oh.. and slugs and snails will gobble em up  :P
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

intotheimpossible

• Trader
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »

Yea im pretty sure some of the cultivars have different growing standards and hardier. I would absolutely love to grow kava but idI dont think they would care to live in michigan lol ive thought about maybe growing them in a giant container of some sort and just over winter them inside and then put them up all growing season.