Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pyschotria Nexus question  (Read 6980 times)

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
Pyschotria Nexus question
« on: May 18, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »

I have been trying to keep a vigilant watch on my Nexus babies but in the past 2 days
the little leafs are starting to look bad.  I was wondering if anyone has any info on why this
is happening?
Oh yeah I was also wondering if I could cut the leaf I planted in half because it
kind of blocks the sprout from getting full light, I placed a pencil there to
hold it back. Maybe I can replant the half a leaf again and start another propagation?

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Re: Pyschotria Nexus question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:01:52 PM »

What's your soil mix? How often have you been watering it? Is it in a humid environment? I'm not sure what advice to give without knowing a bit more information.

gnosis

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 04:17:10 PM »

I mixed the soil 2 cups of regular miracle grow potting soil and 1 cup of perlite
I water it about every 2 days or if I stick my finger in the soil and it doesn't feel moist.
I try to make sure the soil always stays moist. I've never let it dry completely before.
I have it under my little grow lamp T5 and it's in the house so really no humidity.

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 05:10:14 PM »

I'm no expert but it looks like a bit of rot to me.  Both on your sprouts and the bottom lower right edge of your leaf.  If you are watering every two days.. it may be that the soil in the bottom of the pot isn't drying out, even though the top is.  Can you stick a finger throught the drain hole and feel the soil there?  If not, you can also use a wooden kabob skewer.  Place down into the middle of the medium.  When you check, you just pull it out and place on your cheek.  Cool means you're good, dry and warm means time to water.

Not sure what your best course of action is if indeed you have rot.. maybe go ahead and cut the top leaf off and repot?  Or maybe seperate your sprouts, cut the unhealthy portion off and transplant?  I'm sure someone on here will know better  ;)

FWIW, I have a leaf cutting in a pot and have it inside a bag (to keep the humidity up).  It's been there over a month, and I haven't had to water it once.  The leaf is green and glossy and couldn't look better.  Still waiting for babies though..
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »

I think it might be too soon to go with no humidity dome. It will help keep the mother leaf from drying out so it feeds the babies longer if you keep it in a bag or dome until the babies are several inches tall.

gnosis

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »

Ok thanks.
When I put a humidity dome on it can I keep it outside during the summer or should I keep indoors still?