Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Yuma Skipper Butterfly(Ochlodes Yuma) home address is Phragmites Australis  (Read 4972 times)

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166

Native Phragmites is thought to be the sole known host plant for the Yuma Skipper Butterfly(Ochlodes Yuma).
This skipper is the largest most conspicuous of the tawny, grass-feeding Hesperiine skippers.  Ochlodes Yuma is distributed in the Great Basin area ranging from Arizona to South-Central Washington.  The occurrence of this obligate herbivore indicates the potential presence of a native Phragmites species.  It is not known if the introduced genotype also serves as a host for the insect.  No uses have been identified for the introduced non-native Phragmities.  Large stands of Phragmites can be found at Klamath Lake, Summer Lake, Garrison Lake, John Day River, and in North Portland adjacent to the Smith and Bybee Lakes.  Recently, morphological characteristics from populations on the lower Columbia River islands on the tidal flats and Willamette River suggest many dense stands are NON-native. Many of these non-native Phragmites stands on the Columbia River may have initially come from propagules washed down from infestations on the Lower Snake River and near Moses Lake,WA.  Phragmites also occurs along the Clatskanie River in Columbia County,WA.

This brings to mind a few thoughts on species conservation.
1. There are more eradication programs for Phragmites than there are programs investigating their raw-materials as a source for bio-fuel, pulp, and paper.  This threatens more than just the plant in question.  There are even eradication programs in counties that do not have a Phragmites invasion or potential threat of their invasion.

2. What insects inhabit Phalaris? Ground beetles (Coleoptera Carabidae) inhabit stands of P. Arundinacea. Species of insect by species of Phalarii host ;;; This is a long study of discipline and patience that I assume will be figured out shortly/eventually.
I have noticed when certain grasshoppers tend to a Phalaris patch some leaves turn purple where they were eaten.
This draws me to wonder why the tips of P. Arundinacea is purple at certain times of the season. There are obvious answers already provided in essence of my pondering but what part to frogs play in the orchestration of the auxin auxiliary.

3. With regards to Terence McKenna's theory on the harmine/tryp carrier signal projected from certain insects and entheogenic plants, this fits in very well, the butterfly as a signal receiver of some sort, leading everyone to the pot of gold only for us humans to slash, burn, and desolate the pulsing ecosystem.

ref:
http://www.invasiveplants.net/phragmites/morphologyhtm
'Recognition of Phragmites Australis subsp. Americanus in North America: Evidence from Morphological and Genetic analyses'
 K. Saltonstall , P.M. Peterson, R. Soreng.

also a website with specimen collections from Salt Lake City,UT.
http://www.butterfliesofamerica.com/L/ochlodes_yuma_scudderi.htm

with all my love
-
AA
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:57:46 AM by AcaciaAve »
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

psykinetic

• Trading Score: +2
  • love and light to all

Way to go Acacia! Very well written and great info...Damn we're a smart group of folks! ;-)
"Ride the Spiral to the End...We May Just Go Were No Ones Been"

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166

Phragmites is hard to locate in my immediate area. The closest stands being a few hours drive away in Eastern and way south central parts of the state.

Since there is no available Phragmites nearby the Yuma skipper lacks a host.
My new Phragmites seedlings are a couple weeks old and today I spotted an assortment of butterflies identical to Ochlodes Yuma.

If indeed they are Ochlodes then a fascinating act of nature has been observed.
They somehow found my baby Phragmites.
Amazing how much a blade of grass does in the realm of insect communication or resonance.
Pictures I took are bleh but it flew away after posing for a few snaps.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

• Trading Score: +2
  • ___/23\___/23\___

3. With regards to Terence McKenna's theory on the harmine/tryp carrier signal projected from certain insects and entheogenic plants, this fits in very well, the butterfly as a signal receiver of some sort, leading everyone to the pot of gold only for us humans to slash, burn, and desolate the pulsing ecosystem.

Wow very very very intelligent intuition chapeau <3
Zone: Caput Mundi