Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Plant ID help  (Read 6296 times)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Plant ID help
« on: March 26, 2014, 08:06:53 PM »

A few weeks ago I planted Heimia salicifolia and Ocimum tenuiflorum seeds, now that there has been germination however I no longer believe the seedlings I have are the correct species; so it's either that I somehow mistakenly grabbed the wrong seeds when sowing or my seeds are mislabeled, or it could even be that there were seeds already in the soil and the ones I've planted haven't sprouted yet ???

Either way I'd like some help to identify what it is I've been caring for for the past few weeks, there are two varieties: First looks like a simple clover; while second I have no idea, it's hard to see in the picture but it has already begun flowering (small 4-5 white petals)

Any help is appreciated 8)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:16:31 PM by TBM »

onion

• Trading Score: +44
  • Why?
Re: Plant ID help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »

The first one looks like some sort of Oxalis...Maybe O. orniculata. I get this one a lot in my greenhouse and outside. It reseeds like crazy!

Not sure about the other one...
How?

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 07:08:33 AM »

I think you might be right about the first photo, I guess I'll have to wait and see when it flowers to see which species of Oxalis it is.

The second does have similar leaves to H. salicifolia (the more pointed leaves in the newer nodes, as opposed to the first leaves which are rounded at the end), but H. salicifolia flowers are yellow, not white like what I have.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:14:56 AM »

update: I ended up removing the unidentified plant in the second picture as well as transplanting the Oxalis to grow with my catnip to make room for spring sowing, if anyone ends up having an idea about what I was growing it'd still be nice to know ;)