Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: P Alba Help Aphids  (Read 14285 times)

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
P Alba Help Aphids
« on: March 26, 2014, 02:20:55 PM »

I got a p. alba about a month ago that had two main branches from the roots. It was not in great shape when it arrived, and now the smaller and less healthy branch has died. Question is should I cut it off, or just let it be? The other part of the plant is looking much better than it was originally.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:19:16 AM by Frog Pajamas »

Psyguy

• Trading Score: +1
  • Just a bush baby growing and learning
Re: P Alba Help
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:09:04 PM »

Hey there,

Would love to help but I need to know which P. alba you are referring to. 

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:20:35 AM »

Shes referring to Psychotria alba.

I would just let it be personally. As aesthetically displeasing as it may be it might still be slightly alive and connected to the other in such a way that cutting it may affect the one that's still alive, however subtly. The risk does not outweigh the benefit imo.

+1 to psyguy for asking questions and willingness to help

sidenote- Your alba looks a hell of a lot better than my viridis, despite it being several months older.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:23:05 AM by Sunshine »

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:32:32 AM »

I'd leave the second one as well. And you may be surprised to find a new branch coming out from one of the nodes on it one day.  I had a dead salvia plant (or so I thought) sprout two new branches recently. 
Cactus = Life

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »

I appreciate the help, everyone.

Sunshine, this was sold as a 2 year old alba, which I think it is based on the size of the branches, so don't down on your viridis. :-)

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »

Hey Froggy!  I'm no expert and I believe every plant responds differently, so take this with a grain of salt...

I have a different feeling about this.  If you didn't have such a healthy plant right next to it, I would say leave it alone and hope for the best.  However, because the other shoot is doing so great, I would cut and remove the unhealthy one.  This is why:
It is common practice to prune plants of unhealthy growth.  The reason is two fold.  One, because the unhealthy/damaged growth may be the result of disease or infection and you don't want it to spread.  And two, because the plant can put its energy into the healthy shoot, instead of trying to sustain something that will succumb anyway or remain stunted. 

Keep in mind, I don't have alba.  But I do have viridis and it is always putting up more shoots.  If I had one looking bad, I wouldn't hesitate removing it, knowing more are to come.

Just my two cents  ;)  Also, please note I can't see enough detail in the pic to provide an opinion on why the one shoot is suffering.  Although it kinda looks like it might just be mechanical trauma (perhaps from shipping?)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:55:23 PM by SoulGrower »
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »

Well, I think I know the problem- this plant is infested. What do you guys think these bugs are? I thought it was just sand on the plant when I got it because it was "packed" by unpotting the plant and throwing it and the soil in a plastic grocery bag and throwing that in a box. Upon examination now though, the sand is moving. Better yet, it has also infested my kratom, viridis, and acacia acuminata. Geez..

Please help!! Ladybugs, neem? What do you guys suggest?

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »

That sucks!!  And I can't really ID them since the picture is so blurry. Can you get a better one?

This is why I started quarantining every new plant I get for around 2-4 weeks to examine it and catch any bug infestations.  I have gotten thrips, scale, and mealy bugs from plants that were bought/gifted to me.  It sucks when your new plant kills all your old ones!!
Cactus = Life

SoulGrower

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »

I'd start with some insecticidal soap.  I make mine with 1 tsp murphy's oil soap (for cleaning wood furniture), 1 tsp neem and 1 tsp vinegar to a gallon of water.

Any real organic (lye based) soap will do though.  Just make sure it isn't a detergent.  You can also buy commercially made insecticidal soap at most garden centers or big box stores. 
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 09:55:09 PM »

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and bought some insecticidal soap that says it will work with like 100 types of bugs (best guess is they're aphids, by the look) at the hardware store and hit them all. Only the alba is really bad, so I hope that at least everything else will recover. I am definitely going to quarantine new plants going forward. In retrospect, I should have been able to tell there were bugs sooner, but hey, you live and learn, right?

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »

Yep, it's the disasters that teach us the most valuable lessons. Good luck fighting those buggers off.
Cactus = Life

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 04:50:46 AM »

Yes, those are aphids. Horrible little critters if you don´t catch them in time. The soap will kill the adults by suffocating them, neem kills the eggs and keeps them from coming back. For indoor or greenhouse plants I always mix soap and neem to half of the recommended dose and spray every 3 days for two weeks (so long as there are no adverse effects).

Aphids love over fertilized plants and new growth the most. So if the problem persists cut back on feeding in addition to spray treatments.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:55:16 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Psyguy

• Trading Score: +1
  • Just a bush baby growing and learning
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »

Hi there,

Thanks for clearing that up!  I would definitely second aphids.  Those asexual pests almost killed a whole crop.  I would highly recommend ladybugs.  They just feast on aphids all day.  A local hydroponic store should stock ladybugs.  But I would  cull their numbers with some Murphys to start then bring in the predators to keep their numbers in check.  Clean the foliage from their excrement which promotes fungal growth. 

Best of luck keep us posted!!

SoulGrower

Re: P Alba Help Aphids
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »

Hey Froggy!  I was wondering how things are turning out for you? 

And btw, as it turns out, I actually don't have viridis... i have alba!  It was sold to me as viridis but a friend confirmed ID otherwise and explained why to me.  Consequently, I've done some research and sure enough he's right.  It also might explain why mine is growing so vigorously and fast.  Good news for you, apparently alba grows faster than viridis.

On a side note.. I am growing my alba outside and have had several insect attacks on it.  I always get aphids.. on everything!  But usually the plants outpace them.  But I've also had thrips, scale and even these little catepillars that roll up the leaves on my alba.   Its a constant battle where I live.  My insecticidal soap always does a great job at keeping things in check.

Hoping the little buggies didn't affect all your other plants too badly.
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 7A
Re: P Alba Help Aphids
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 01:51:01 AM »

The insecticidal soap has worked pretty well, and ladybugs are on the way to help patrol after.  I don't see any aphids on any plants other than the Alba, and its looking much better. Second treatment with soap tomorrow, so hopefully they will be wiped out with that. Thanks for asking!
Pages: [1] 2