Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mediterranean Climate Plants  (Read 4244 times)

ashiata

• Trader
Mediterranean Climate Plants
« on: March 26, 2014, 02:13:04 PM »

Hello!

Inspired by a post in my introduction thread by isaak, I decided to create this thread so that we can share information on plants that grow well in mediterranean climate, or those that dont.

Sorry if this is a double post, or posted in wrong area, feel free to move or merge.  This list is incomplete.. Feel free to add more info and I`ll update the first post.

Plants (or their fruits...) that thrive well:

Apples
Pears
Oranges
Tangerines
Olives
Almonds
Loquat
Plum
Blackberries
Strawberries
Dates
Figs
Grapes

thyme
rosemry
lavender

Silybum marianum
Artemesia afra (African wormwood)
Leonotis leonurus (wilde dagga | lion's tail)
Leonotis nepetifolia (klip dagga | lion's ear)

Acacia dealbata *
Acacia decurrens *
Acacia karroo *
Acacia longifolia *
Acacia mearnsii *
Acacia melanoxylon*
Acacia pycnantha *
Acacia retinodes *
Acacia saligna *
Arundo donax
Cannabis sativa
Ipomea spp.
Lophophora williamsii
Papaver somniferum
Passiflora spp.
Phragmites australis
Trichocereus pachanoi

Plants that may grow but with difficulty and only in particularly wet/warm mediterranean microclimates:

Bananas
Avocados
Mangos
Papayas

* considered invasive or with invasive potential. Source: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/88/35/84/PDF/hal-00883584.pdf
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:43:33 PM by ashiata »

Psyguy

• Trading Score: +1
  • Just a bush baby growing and learning
Re: Mediterranean Climate Plants
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:11:17 PM »

Figs.  Delicious figs love that Mediterranean climate. 

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »

Thanks so much for this ashiata! I'd like to get some Trichocereus spp. in the ground within the next year and see how they do. I'm concerned our winters might be a bit too wet but I believe T. bridgesii handles wetter conditions well, especially if using a well-draining medium.

I can attest first-hand to the growth rate of Passiflora spp., Ipomea spp., and the Australian acacias you listed - many of which are invasive aliens in my province. Indigenous plants which others may like to grow if they live in mediterranean-type climates are Artemesia afra (African wormwood), Leonotis leonurus (wilde dagga | lion's tail) and Leonotis nepetifolia (klip dagga | lion's ear).
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

ashiata

• Trader
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 12:42:21 PM »

Thanks ! Im editing the first post to add the plants you both mentioned.

Isaak, I`m not sure what the rainfall is compared to where you are, but in the country I`m in, in south europe, San Pedros can grow in the ground no problem if you have a soil with good drainage, as you mentioned.  Just obviously don't plant it in winter, or chances are it wont grow and will rot (learned that from experience lol... ).

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »

Thanks for the tip about planting time ashiata...I probably wouldn't have thought of that :P The rains just started this past week and I must say I'm very grateful to be free from watering responsibilities for a few days!
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:54:22 AM »

How about some more lamiaceae members such as sage and oregano.
Both evergreen and super high in antioxidants.
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

cloud

• Trading Score: +16
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:28:51 AM »

(* just a note, there is spatial variability regarding a Mediterranean-type climate. In my region, there is a reduced diurnal temperature range because of the mediating influence of the ocean. A Mediterranean type climate here might be slightly different to that of Europe..)

ashiata, Trichocereus species also handle the winter rainfall in my area relatively well (provided there is sufficient drainage).. last winter even resulted in some noticeable growth.. Specific to my area, I think humidity is an factor inhibiting propagation of some species. Succulents (generalizing here) are well suited to this type of climate.