Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How to grow Brugmansia arborea?  (Read 3593 times)

Konifer

• USDA Zone 7b
How to grow Brugmansia arborea?
« on: March 22, 2014, 01:37:12 AM »

I found four Brugmansia arborea seeds in a desk drawer, which I forgot I had. They're about a year old, but have been in a little plastic bag, so I assume they're still viable. (Please correct me if I'm wrong though)

I tried to grow them last year and had no luck with it. They didn't root.
I didn't remove the outer seed coat though, so maybe that had something to do with it?

Anyway... I'd like some advice on how to grow these, including soil, nutrients, light level, etc.
I am literally clueless when it comes to growing, so any advice is good advice.

I hope to get better at plant cultivation with the help of this community, and hopefully by the end of the season I'll be able to give some seeds away! I'm going to grow more than B. arborea if I can get some seeds in time for planting.
Check out my profile!

Khaedin

• Trading Score: +1
Re: How to grow Brugmansia arborea?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 05:13:16 AM »

I've heard the seeds lose complete viable within weeks of harvesting, I've personally only dealt with cuttings. My friend has about 40 brugs and all of them were from cuttings as well.

EDIT: As per growing conditions, I'm fairly certain all brugs enjoy moist but a well draining mix. I have to water mine almost daily to keep up with the massive flowers. I went away for 3 days and it dropped all of its flowers from a water shortage. You can fertilize them every watering and they'll just keep going. I use MG for acid loving plants, as well as Osmocote+ slow release fert in the mix.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:15:47 AM by Khaedin »

Konifer

• USDA Zone 7b
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 02:55:05 AM »

Hmm... So assuming they DO sprout, would plain MG with slow release nutes work? Or would I need better drainage?
Brug seems pretty demanding by your description Khaedin. But I accept the challenge!  ;D

All I have is seeds, I'm afraid. Does any one know how to start these seeds?
Check out my profile!

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 03:39:46 AM »

I've never started any from seeds, only from cuttings, but in my experience they are pretty easy to grow. I've seen them grow them in cups of water, potting soil, and in hard red clay. As long as they have access to plenty of water they do good.

t_tristani2002

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
  • Sapere Aude
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 04:27:14 AM »

Khaedin, I have a brugmansia plant about 2' tall. Your friend that has the brugs, what exactly does he do with them. I've been harvesting the flowers and drying them but I don't know if there's any use in it, or if i'll just end up poising myself in a delirium anyway....
~tristan