Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Trichocereus scopulicola x pachanoi?  (Read 13179 times)

Blackvine

Trichocereus scopulicola x pachanoi?
« on: March 11, 2014, 06:34:42 AM »

I am totally new to the world of cacti, and browsing at some of my local nursery came across a couple of interesting specimens.

This photo's to follow are of a cactus marked as being a Trichocereus scopulicola, but I get the feeling it could be a T. scopulicola x T. pachanoi.

I say this because the areoles are not sunken in like many specimens of T. scopulicola I have seen online and also that spines are indeed present, although small enough to run ones hand over them.

This cactusis also very slightly glaucous, really depending on the light in which it is viewed, which I don't believe T. scopulicola is meant to be so. There is six ribs, from bottom to top.

The ribs come together evenly and uniformly at the very top, another apparent classic sign of a T. scopulicola.

The skin is smooth but not so smooth that it is at all glossy, rubbery or 'squeeky' (does this make sense?). If I pinch the ribs, it does not feel too fleshy beneath the surface.

There is one small scar (not pictured) where it has perhaps been blown over in the wind at some point, and also some other strange lumpy markings which I will point out further down this thread.

I asked how old it was, but the nursery staff did not know and said 'perhaps six years'.

Slightly glaucous depending on the light:

Notice how evenly the ribs form together at the crown/crest/top of the cactus.
Is there a word for this part of a torch-style cactus?

Notice the strange lumpiness (under?) of the skin here:
Does anybody recognise this as being a symptom of an underlying problem?

Closeup of areoles:

Base: thinking about repotting into a bigger, heavier terracotta pot

I went and checked out another, a more commercial big-name, garden centre and found another real beauty. This one was conveniently marked 'Cactus'.

The description for this one is almost exactly the same, except the noticeable difference on this one is that it is much fatter, much shorter (perhaps much younger) and the ribs have gone through some crazy changes.

The cactus begins with 7 ribs - 3 of these ribs start going inward about a quarter up, with 2 of them disappearing and 1 changing it's mind and continuing up. Leaving the cactus with 5 very evenly ribs meeting at the top.

Pinching the each rib along the side, I can feel  it is much fleshier, and very firm at the top. There is multiple scars on one side.

The spines on this one are much more pronounced, especially at the bottom - and running one's hand along it becomes difficult and I could easily prick my finger on some of the spines.

Disappearing rib:

Other disappearing rib:

Slightly larger areoles, and larger more pricking spines:

You messy beast, you:

Base:

I guess well never truly know what any of these cactus are, there are so many slight variations within each species!

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Trichocereus scopulicola x pachanoi?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 07:54:13 AM »

The first looks more like a pachanoi to me, but the second one has that scopulicola look. Btw, scop can have spines and also pach can be spineless. 
Cactus = Life

Blackvine

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »

The first looks more like a pachanoi to me, but the second one has that scopulicola look. Btw, scop can have spines and also pach can be spineless. 

Just goes to show how confusing all of this taxonomy business can be - whatever they are, I love them :D

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:59:03 AM »

They do look very nice.  And yes, taxonomy is crazy confusing. s
Cactus = Life

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't put my money on Scopulicola, but they sure are good looking!

They don't exactly look like PC pachanoi to me either because of the V-notches and the orientation (nearly vertical with some indentation) of the areolas.

Here's a picture of a hard-grown, full-sun, archetypal Scopulicola for comparison:

(the orange tag is not a cut-marker, its there to orient the pot to the South.
Cacti like keeping the Southern orientation after you bring 'em home from the nursery
The old-timer cactus nurseries will mark em like this).

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:55:43 PM by happyconcafe »

Sherman

• Trading Score: +1
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »

I agree with HCC, they seem to have some apparent differences to PC pachanoi. I really don't know anything about scopulicola, so I can't say either way about that.

I do know that they are gorgeous! I really like the one with its rib changes. I love the lines they make when they change like that. I wonder if there are some that are just prone to this type of growth, and if so maybe that one might drop down to 4 ribs one day. Maybe less, if that's possible!

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »

T. scopulicola has a very distinct look. They look nothing like pc pach imo.
Cactus = Life

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »

T. scopulicola has a very distinct look. They look nothing like pc pach imo.

Completely agree.

From photos I've seen, it looks like Blackvine has something similar to Juul's Giant. Not sure though.

Hcc

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 01:35:03 AM »

To my eye they look very much like scops. If I recall correctly scop is prone to rib play more than other trich species.

Regardless of what they are, they look great Blackvine. You are lucky to live in an area where cacti like that are available locally!
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Blackvine

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:04:57 AM »

Hey folks, I certainly have some awesome cacti - although I think I may be developing a problem all ready.

See those strange lumps in the 6th picture down?

Well I noticed a big spot has developed on the other cacti now, and is darker and a bit moist.

I had left my cacti on the balcony last night, I really really don't think it rained, it may have been a bit cool though - anyhow, in the morning I looked to see what appeared to be bird shit on the cactus, like a black wet inky mark and wiped it off, but now I've become aware that it is one of these weird spots.

Any ideas anyone!? Help!

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 07:24:22 PM »

#1 looks identical to my scop clones. In my experience theyre not particularly vulnerable to black rot, not compared to bridgesii anyway. Stop watering it for a while so it can seal the wound off.