Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What's this on my cactus graft?  (Read 4409 times)

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
What's this on my cactus graft?
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »

What do you suppose this little spike is growing out of the base of my graft? Is it trying to put out roots? Should I de-graft this guy and move it to soil (It's a little top-heavy at this point as well)

Or is it just some sort of mutant leaf from the peres growing out through the graft?

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: What's this on my cactus graft?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »

Those are aerial roots. Just give it a little bit more water and food and it can keep growing. Then when you're ready to degraft it will have that root bud there ready to take off when you plant it. (it should go dormant for now untill planted) 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:29:09 PM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:03:35 AM »

Awesome, thanks New Wisdom. I was hoping you'd chime in with your cactus knowledge:)

I think another factor here is that this is in a window that has been getting really chilly at night. The peres stock as well as the other peres without grafts in the same location have slowed down considerably. I guess the cactus wants to keep growing even though the peres growth has slowed and is taking matters into it's own hands by starting to throw out roots in search of more moisture and nutrients?

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:07:33 AM »

Yeah probably. The metabolism of the pere slowed down more than the trich and isn't pumping as much juice into it so It's searching.  Aerial roots are usually a sign that they're searching elsewhere for nutrients/water.  It's not a fatal issue, mostly cosmetic.
Cactus = Life

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 12:21:59 AM »

I've been thinking about de-grafting soon anyway because it's starting to lean pretty severely. I figure I either have to support it with something or de-graft for fear that the peres won't support the weight on it's own. I feel a little more confident about de-grafting knowing it's already starting to put out roots. I haven't de-grafted anything as of yet so I was a little nervous about doing it for the first time.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 12:52:58 AM »

It would be a perfect time to degraft it if you cut it below the aerial root. It's still pretty small so it would grow a little skinnier than it is for a little while untill it gets more established.
Cactus = Life

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 01:15:52 PM »

Alright, I finally detached it from the Peres. I procrastinated but it decided that it was time by falling over and jumping off the shelf. Surprisingly no damage was done. That was three days ago and I have a couple of questions..

1) How long does one normally let things callous over before planting in soil?
2) There's still a little sliver of peres in there. Will that mess things up? It wasn't an impale style graft but the scion sort of grew down over the stock a bit and I didn't want to cut any higher and damage the already forming roots.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »

I let degrafts callus for 2-4 weeks before planting.  Just until it's nice and hard on the bottom there. Then just don't water for another 2 weeks after planting.
Cactus = Life