Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: acclimation of cacti seedlings  (Read 3361 times)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
acclimation of cacti seedlings
« on: January 30, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »

So I have only so far acclimated my nearly two year old lophs to regular air quite some time ago now. Its was a fairly lengthy process. They were also my first cacti ever from seed. Now I have two sets of newer lophs, bridgesii, Peruvianus, pachanoi, and a hybrid trich all going at the same time. They are getting sizable now. I was wanting to know when you guys determine its time to acclimate them. Is it more by size or by age? When I did my first lophs awhile back I think they were six months or older before I tried acclimation. It worked just fine but this time the soil is growing more funky stuff on it and what not. I want to get them acclimated before rot might kill off some seedlings. All current seedlings are good sized but pretty young at this point.
Spreading love!

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: acclimation of cacti seedlings
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:50:49 PM »

If it's green and black sludge looking stuff on the soil then you don't have to worry. But if it's fuzzy white then that's a problem. 

I usually wait around 4-6 months to take mine out of humidity as well. 
Cactus = Life

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: acclimation of cacti seedlings
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:15:03 AM »

Ya very dark sludgy like stuff. Looks all wet and watery even though the containers haven't been watered for some time. They retain moisture seemingly for weeks if not months. No white fuzzy stuff though so I guess that's good. A few small funky bugs are in the soil but they don't bother the cacti so I've never worried about them. The same bugs were present even in my first ever lophs that are now two years old almost and they were never hurt so they can't be pest bugs. I guess I'll just keep a keen eye on the seedlings for now and try to acclimate in the next few months.
Spreading love!