Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Need help getting growin!  (Read 4006 times)

spractral

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +50
  • <3
Need help getting growin!
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »

Hi everyone , this is my first post and I just found this forum, looks awesome! 

I live in virginia and according to the usda site live in a zone7b. I'm trying to get some mimosa hostilis or acacia confusa growing if possible but I have no idea if it would be possible. I'd also love to grow (even more ) some t. Bridgessi  or peruvian torch or similiar cacti but I have no expierence whatsoever growing cacti. However I have plenty of time on my hands and really want to get something going.  I also have a fair amount of outdoor space and a small bit (maybe 2x6 ft and 4ft vertical) of closet space to work with.

Any and all help , guidance,  info or support would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading :p
Grow till theres no more room

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Re: Need help getting growin!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:17:07 AM »

Hi spractral. Welcome to STS!

I'm in a similar zone to you but have only started seedlings indoors so far. I expect to need to provide some protection from winter temps next year once everything goes outdoors,  but more experienced growers can hopefully advise you on cold hardiness. There's a collaborative thread on temps and ethnobotanicals also.

You may want to write an intro in the Welcome Area so you can get promoted to full member.  Then you 'll be able to access trading, sharing,  and messaging. I'll happily send some hostilis seeds- just PM me when you can.  :)

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:16:10 AM »

Id say many cacti can do fine in 7b outdoors, if germinated carefully and brought indoors and allowed to go dormant in the winter.

Id think hostilis would be similar.

Do you have any interest in other species of acacia, possibly some that are more cold hardy??

Oops almost forgot, welcome to sts!!
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:19:57 AM »

Welcome to STS my friend!

If you want to get into growing cacti. It is best to start from cuttings as a beginer. Growing them from seeds is pretty involved and takes many years before they get to a decent size.
Cactus = Life

spractral

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +50
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:38:29 AM »

Hey thanks for replies everyone. So hostilis might be the first plant I will grow. I may be interested in some other acacias, I will have to do some research first. A friend of mine that lives 100ish miles north of here actually thinks she has seen some kind of acacia growing wild near her house, I will have to see if she can take some pictures for me.

Yes , I have heard starting cacti from a seed can be challenging and can take years to really get going. If I had a cutting though this could be something I could  grow rather easily indoors and probably outdoors in the summertime here?

I will definitely write an intro although I don't how much I can write seeing as I haven't grown any of the species that are discussed on this forum. I have had some indoor expierence with growing certain stinky sticky plants before but that is about it. =)

Soo , hostilis is an option. I will look into this,  is there any links to info on how to grow these indoors or outdoors in an environment like mine, or grow logs?

Thanks for the welcomes and info!
Grow till theres no more room

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 01:52:21 AM »

It all depends on your climate. I grow mine outdoors in the summer, then I let them go dormant and bring them in during winter to let them rest (so they don't get etiolated)
Cactus = Life

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 02:55:49 AM »

Welcome to Share The Seeds, spractral.

Thanks for joining.