Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35

Author Topic: Plant Identification Thread  (Read 186756 times)

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
Re: Plant Identification Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 02:23:30 AM »

It is indeed Parkinsonia Aculeata! Thanks Happyconcafe.
Yes a Callistemon spp. for sure.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 04:58:12 PM »

I have received 2 Mimosas, one arenosa; one opthalmocentra. (pic #1 & 2 are a plant; it has more prominant thorns) & (pic 3 & 4 are the other plant).

Can anyone tell me which is which?

Thank you :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:12:37 PM by Seed Collector »

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »

The red one is the MO the green the MA
Spreading love!

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »

A while back I had purchased Mimosa pudica seeds off of Amazon (reviews were promising enough)

After having a couple of seedlings die in the first month with trial and error with soil blends, I finally have one large enough that I'm now beginning to suspect that it's not Mimosa pudica at all. Its leaves move somewhat when the light turns off and back on, but does not exhibit the classic movement which Mimosa pudica is supposed to (and it doesn't look like any pics of Mimosa pudica seedlings I've seen)

Attached are pics of the seeds I received and the seedling I germinated (only means the seeds ever germinate is to do a 12-24 soak in water, and I'd say the have a 40-60% germination rate)

muze801

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
  • USDA Zone: 5-7b
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 11:34:34 PM »

While I can't give a positive ID for what you're seedlings are, I'll confirm your suspicions that you don't have M. pudica; seeds don't look quite right and the seedlings are not hairy or prickly, not to mention the leaves are all wrong...

Looks like it could still be something interesting though...small dark seeds are easy to mix-up

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2014, 03:18:41 AM »

It kind of looks like it still might be in the Mimosa family though, hopefully I'll be able to get replacement seeds sent to me to begin germination again

Thanks for the help

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 03:31:48 AM »

I can send you some more if you want. PM if you do  ;)

EDIT, here is a picture of last weeks harvest that I am currently sorting.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:35:41 AM by fairdinkumseeds »
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 06:17:56 AM »

While the seeds that I have are similar in size and shape to the actual Mimosa pudica seeds, mine are far more irregular and inconsistent in size, at first glance it's easy to see how one could misidentify the seeds if they are inexperienced, but a side by side comparison of them is obvious.... my seeds are not what I purchased >:( Amazon is usually good with handling this type of thing, I've already sent an email... update: they'll refund me and they're looking through their database to see about identifying the mix up.... still no word on its identity from the vendor...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:59:17 PM by TBM »

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 08:03:58 PM »

The vendor hasn't gotten back to me yet on what the mix up is, part of me wonders if they may have had some accidental cross pollination with whatever else they're growing in the same area... is that possible with Mimosa pudica? ???

Also another pic

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 02:53:38 AM »

I would think it is possible, but looking at the plant there are so many differences I reckon its pretty unlikely. Substitution of cool seeds is pretty common everywhere unfortunately, even to quite reputable suppliers unfortunately.
Likely a bulk seed supplier grabbed the wrong bag of seeds and distributed them onto your guy, and that will end up being some other cool plant in the end.

It could even be that their bulk supplier in China or wherever deliberately swapped them out for a similar seed that was cheaper/easier to harvest.
Mimosa pudica is a prickly little bugger.
Exciting though, it could be anything!
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 02:17:08 PM »

The vendor hasn't gotten back to me yet on what the mix up is, part of me wonders if they may have had some accidental cross pollination with whatever else they're growing in the same area... is that possible with Mimosa pudica? ???

Also another pic

This is not a Fabaceae (botanical famiy of Mimosa).

accidental cross pollination....No Way....it is bulshit (can I use this word here?)

A guess...maybe it is a Lamiaceae (salvia botanical family)....Single, opposite leaves, serrated margin

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »

It does have a square stem commonly found with other members of Lamiaceae, I'm just trying to figure out a way to make sense of the mix up since the vendor I'm emailing this about says while he doesn't think it's M pudica, the farmer isn't willing to admit that there was a mix up in the seeds and isn't admitting this isn't M pudica.... so if it's a hybrid it could explain the farmer's certainty (harvesting from M pudica seed pods) while still being incorrect on the species. :-\ But I suppose it could just be stubbornness unwilling to admit in a mistake too.

I'll send another email to them seeing if mentioning it may be Lamiaceae will help them narrow it down ;)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 07:32:18 AM »

Need an ID.  I planted this sucker in a little several celled planter. I lost the tag but i remember only planting ethnobotanical plants in it, but this thing looks JUST like a cucumber plant.  So I'm thinking what the hell is going on here?  It's a vine and has yellow flowers on it.  Hearth shaped leaves with trichomes no the leaves that make them crunchy.  Here are some photos.

Anyone know what this is?  Maybe it is a cucumber.

Wow... I just realized that fairdinkum gave me some little mini cucumber seeds a long time ago and I planted them in the planters.  So they are cucumbers. Hahaha.  Whoops *insert facepalm icon here*
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:35:52 AM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »

Any ideas on this one? Found in Zone 6b-7a.

Mrgreenthumm

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »

My guess would be Thornless Honeylocust tree. I have them here as well  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35