Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Vegetable Seed Planting Times  (Read 3935 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Vegetable Seed Planting Times
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:11:21 PM »

January to March

Just as the new year begins is an ideal time to start thinking about the vegetable garden. This is the time to start some of the vegetable seeds indoors. Some vegetables, such as lettuce, broccoli and cauliflower, grow better in the cooler weather of spring than in the hot temperatures of summer. Starting these seeds indoors while it is still winter gives the plants a head start on growing. February is a good time to plant tomato seeds indoors. This allows the seed to grow into a sturdy plant that can handle transplanting. Tomato seeds sown outdoors may or may not germinate or grow as strong. Plant pea seeds directly into the soil as early as you can work with it, approximately the end of March.

April

April is a busy month for gardeners planting seeds. Plan your second round of planting seed about 10 days after you can work the soil. This gives the soil time to warm up a little bit more. Turnips, radishes and beets can all be planted directly in the soil about the middle of April.

May

The soil needs to be completely warm for other vegetables including corn, beans, potatoes and okra. Plant seeds directly into the prepared soil. Leave the required amount of room between rows for the plants to grow properly without crowding.

July to August

Plant vegetable seeds in the garden during July and August for a fall crop or for a second round of cool-weather vegetables. Check the length of time required for the growing season and plan accordingly. For example, pumpkins require up to 120 days for maturing, especially the larger varieties. Start pumpkin seeds in prepared garden soil the beginning of July for a mid- to late October harvest. Lettuce is another vegetable that prefers to mature in cooler weather. Lettuce only takes 65 to 85 days to harvest, for heads. Leaf lettuce does not take as much time. Plant lettuce seeds directly in the soil at the beginning of August for a late September or early October harvest. If it is still too hot in your zone in August to plant lettuce outside, start the seeds indoors where they can be out of the hot sun.

Happy growing ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: Vegetable Seed Planting Times
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:57:01 AM »

And pay close attention to what others in your area are doing as well as the extended forecast. Harvesting your own seed so you have plenty for gambles helps too.

If your a bit lucky with your micro-climate the hardiest plants might be able to be planted much earlier, last year I started my plantings on Feb 1 (washington state) and the only things that gave me troubles were the rutabagas and turnips- planting them that early made them bolt in the summer. Kales, cabbages, kohlrabi, and mustard varieties didnt bolt.
The previous year I had harvested my own green mustard seed and where I piled the dead plants for an hour sprouted lots of little mustards, on feb 1 I just transplanted them to the garden ;D

If your local library or park has a garden look there to see when things begin growing.
Also look at weeds, some are edible and a few will grow in the middle of winter. I just had a 2 week wind storm that allowed henbit to put on growth.
Henbit carrot oatmeal for breakfast :D

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Re: Vegetable Seed Planting Times
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »

In the beginning I was sowing through books and guides,  but then I realize that the older farmers start sowing much earlier than me.  Their crops grow vigorously.

Now I follow the "people's guide" with much better results!

Observing and talking with other gardeners  is very important, you can learn new technics and skills, trade some seeds and make some interesting new friends! ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.