Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Top 15 Antibiotic Herbs  (Read 8059 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Top 15 Antibiotic Herbs
« on: December 27, 2013, 01:05:46 AM »

Most of us think of antibiotics as liquid or pills you pick up at the pharmacy, but these compounds were originally developed from naturally occurring sources.  Plants have antibiotic substances serving a beneficial roll around their root systems.  Bacteriophages are viruses the infect bacteria.  (Everything has something that wants to eat it.)  Many common foods and herbs (and some not so common ones) act as antibiotics, such as honey, garlic, onions, licorice root, ginger, sage and many others.

Herbal antibiotics have long been used by herbal healers to ward off colds and flu, clear infections and speed wound healing.  Now, they may be moving back into the mainstream as an alternative for bacteria that have become resistant to synthetic antibiotics.

This is a list of some most powerful herbs:

-Acacia
-Aloe
-Cryptolepsis
-Echinacea
-Eucalyptus
-Garlic
-Ginger
-Goldenseal
-Grapefruit Seed Extract
-Honey
-Juniper
-Licorice
-Sage
-Usnea
-Wormwood

Do you know more?
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: Top 15 Antibiotic Herbs
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:31:19 AM »

Chillies for sure. Best thing for any illness that has a fever with it I reckon.
Tagetes family, especially Tagetes minuta is awesome for both fungal and bacterial infections on plants and people.(and is the best insecticide you can get)
Stinging nettle are great for boosting energy to help speed recovery.
Alphyitonia excelsa is a very common native tree to my area, and is great for stopping skin infections and is very mild. Good for drawing out splinters and stings, and makes a great eye wash for conjunctivitis and itchy eyes. Just rub the leaves in water till soapy, then rinse a couple times a day till fixed.
Pawpaw/papaya is a great antibacterial and it tenderizes scar tissue from burns and large jagged cuts, increasing mobility, blood flow and therefore healing times.
Does the same thing to a cheap cut of steak too.
That's all I can think of at the moment, but there is a million of them.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Roze

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:53:50 PM »

I know that  smoking Rosmarinus officinalis leaves have a therapeutic potential in treatment or prevention of bronchial asthma.  Barbary fig (Opuntia ficus-indica) with sugar is great against cough..and the list goes on...

So why we keep going to the pharmacy??

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »

Not all of us do :D

For orally active antibiotics Peganum harmala (also antiparasitic and MAOI) and Scutellaria baicalensis root (also liver protecting antiviral) deserve mention. Some fungi are useful, as well.

It can be a good idea to also use a lymphatic stimulant/detoxicant of some type. Bacterial infections can clog the lymphatic system with junk, which slows immune responce. Bitter vegetables, dandelion roots, asian violets, self-heal, etc. can help keep the lymphatic system running clear to get rid of the cellular debris from dead bacteria. Massage and dance has been shown to help too.

I saw Echinacea mentioned, it should be noted that the effective dose is far above the current typical dose and most extracts or tinctures do not contain all of the active compounds.

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »

Pine needle tea!!!

Pine trees are about everywhere around here.
Its good for many things, and has more vitamin c than a lemon (apparently)!

Pines are where honeybees get the raw materials for making their super anti biotic propolis, which is what is responsible for there hives not being decomposed
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:31:24 AM by PermieGing »
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 04:10:07 AM »

Dont forget about Tumeric for anti biotic and anti fungal uses.

:)
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »

I wonder if natural antibiotics affect the guts microorganism flora in a similar way as pharma anti biotics?

Apparently pharmas antibiotics kill off the gut microflora and cause diarrhea. It can be at least partially countered by probiotics.

???
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:01:23 AM by PermieGing »
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 02:17:36 AM »

I would imagine if something is antibiotic it would kill off most bacteria. Unless they're resistant somehow. But I don't know for sure.
Cactus = Life

Roze

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »

In my opinion pharmas antibiotics are more aggressive then the natural ones, and more expensive too!

But im still trying to understand how acacias fit in the group of natural antibiotics...