Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: growing Caapi from seed  (Read 5144 times)

Matt Dubh

growing Caapi from seed
« on: April 04, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »

I have some seeds, and I want to grow them on, but I'm really just starting out as a gardener. In fact, this is the first garden I've ever had, I was always pots on the balcony/indoor plants/living in the city before. I'm excited about the whole thing and have been rather indiscriminately planting bulbs, sowing seeds and putting in trees… and I guess we'll see what happens. Anyway, back to the Caapi vine seeds. I dont have many, so I want to do it right. I have a smallish garden in Cornwall, partial shade, a few walls for things to grow up. I guess what I want to know is: Do I need to start these things off under glass? (I dont have a greenhouse). Do they require some sort of seeding mixture or special soil? and are they hardy?I mean, will they survive in a garden that gets sunlight between 10 in the morning and is in shade after 4 in the afternoon, or is it going to be tricky?

Sorry if this is a bit of a novice question. I'm really keen to learn, but well, I don't really know anyone who is trying to grow what I like (outside of crazy coloured dahlias… My other great love.)

Anyways, thanks and, take it easy x

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
Re: growing Caapi from seed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »

Hello Matt Dubh,

There is some information posted about B. Caapi, for instance here and here. But I can try to give some answers to your specific questions.

Whenever you want to grow a new plant, particularly from seed, you'll get better initial results reproducing the natural environment where the species germinates and thrives. Most plants are surprisingly able to adjust to different conditions in a progressive way, but they will do so more easily once they are well established, have more resources and hence are more resistant to stress. Seedlings, of course, are not very adaptable and resistant yet.

Amazonian species like B. Caapi germinate in good draining soils rich in organic matter, under a warm, humid environment, sheltered from direct sunlight and wind by the jungle canopy. Temperature and hours of light do not fluctuate much during the day and season cycles. So the closer you can get to that, the better the starting results.

Soil can be any good quality potting mix, throwing in something to help draining and air flow (perlite, pine bark, coco coir or others) specially if your potting soil is dark and compact. As far as I know, slightly acidic soils work better. That's generally true for peat based soils and compost. The soil should be kept moist but never damp, and have good drainage holes in the container.

Higher ambient humidity is better. Same goes for temperature (25ºC+). If your place is not very humid (say, under 60% relative humidity) you can try to acclimate a little space for your seedlings. A covered germination tray, or a little container/greenhouse. Avoid direct sunlight since it will highly speed up dehydration. If using natural light, make sure it is indirect or filtered. And try to keep seedlings in a warm place. Adult plants can be hardy and resist lower temperatures well, but seedlings won't.

Also, note that caapi seeds are not viable for very long. If your seeds are old (harvested one year ago or older) the germination rates may be close to zero, so don't blame your gardening skills if that's the case and they do not sprout.

Good luck and welcome to STS.

Mandrake

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:36:00 AM »

let the wing out of soil

Mina79

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:04:44 PM »

Hi Matt Dubh. I love Dahlia's too. Trying to capture the petals when making models for jewellery is a challenge. Roses & Lilies are much easier!! :-)

Mina79

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 04:10:49 PM »

I am a useless gardener ! Can.t even keep peace lilies alive indoors! I so wish I were more green fingered!

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:58:24 PM »

I am a useless gardener ! Can.t even keep peace lilies alive indoors! I so wish I were more green fingered!

practice makes perfect. Did you re-pot the peacelillies when you got them? I almost never repot peace lillies as they tend to thrive when root-bound in terrible soil. Counter-intuitive.

Hcc

EDIT: sorry for derailing the thread