Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Madplanter's E. novo Germination Tek  (Read 13062 times)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Madplanter's E. novo Germination Tek
« on: April 26, 2015, 12:08:51 AM »

Way back maybe two years ago(lol) when I first received some E. coca seeds I ordered from kiwi I hadn't a clue on how to plant them. Only real thing I could find was some guy growing them in straight vermiculite. Probably could have done it that way but I just went to my potting soil and mixed in a ton of extra perlite and used that.

The seeds were already sprouting very well when I opened it so I was stoked to have a bunch of these guys going. I went ahead and planted them about a 1/4" deep under the soil other than one that had significant stem length. So I expected a few days to babies all over but after a week none had popped through. So I waited thinking that seed was fairly sizable it must be able to come through when they were ready. Waited another week...nothing. so did dig a few out to find them all rotted. I got that one lonely seedling through to be a full foot tall or more with several branches and it fared the first winter outside and did better than the novos that are a month or two younger. So this year I thought surly that it could fare the winter outside but noooooo! On the coldest night we had it got defoliated and burnt something fierce so I brought it in but it never recovered. B. muricata suffered the same fate as well but it was a pretty small plant. Never got seeds from the coca so I lost the species and haven't ordered again...yet.

On to the novos. Having learned my lesson with the coca seeds I was better equipped for the second round. The coca did well so the soil mix remained the same. Mix was densely rich but sandy potting soil with lots of extra perlite. This mix has little peat content its mainly compost and sand.

This round though with the novo I made small holes big enough to set the seeds that were again sprouting...(thanks dbotany!)...snugly roots down but allowing for the seed on the top side to be free to the sky. Around the seed in its snug hole I placed a ring of moist sphagnum moss for humidity on the seed shell to keep it pliable for the seedling to shed easier later. Still leaving the air free above the seed...Don't burry these guys! They are weak sprouters!

Humidity being mentioned I must add that with both coca and novos they were started in a clear plastic humidity box. Set in strong but mostly indirect light. This whole process kept the seed shells so pliable that all shed them problems free. Got 20/24 on the novo batch to survive! Then I killed a few over time but had like 14 long term survivers.

Acclimation of these guys is easy too. After a few true leaves crack the lid on the box a half inch the first day and incrementally increase the size every day for a week or so until you can fully take it off with no wilting. If wilting occurs close box fast and start over after they recover!

Can be adapted to full sun quickly too! Partial shade at first moving them farther in the sun over a week or two! That's it folks! Grow them babies!

Peace
Spreading love!

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Re: Madplanter's E. novo Germination Tek
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »

Man, it took 24 days, but I suddenly have 9 of 17 seeds sprouted! Thanks, MP!!

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 05:50:02 PM »

Yeah, mine just came up all of a sudden too! They are sure holding on to that seed coat...
No living organism should be illegal.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »

Out of 40 I've planted probably now have 75% up and 30% have dropped the coat. All happened in the last day or two for the seed coats. Most sprouts were taking place a week or so ago. I keep them really humid until the seed coat is off then lower it down incrementally.

Good grow vibes y'all!
Spreading love!

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 11:52:04 PM »

Epic germination rate!  ;D

Thanks again MP!
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

Rife

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +14
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 03:40:18 AM »

Don't let the seeds and seedcoats dry out, I've found.     

Planted my first round of 41 seeds in Rapid Rooting cubes. BAD idea, had to check on them daily. They couldn't push themselves out of the cube and half died.

This time around, I have some novos in 6 different soil mediums, gonna figure out which works the best! Will post a grow log when they sprout.

Used very rich potting soil typically meant for cannabis, which burned most of the plants to death. This time I'm going heavy with plain coco coir.

I've found they don't like being overwatered, and they hate fungus gnats. Seems their roots are very sensitive

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 04:09:55 AM »

I'm having moderate success with plain peat moss shreds. Planted maybe 40 seeds two(?) weeks ago. They've been popping up over the last week or so. More seems to be germinating. Seed coats remain attached, however.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 08:55:52 PM »

It seems the seed coat is a double layer, the outer one when drying gets hard and brittle, the inner one is just a thin kind of skin. So removing the outer one is quite easy whilst the layer under it will most likely need any removal and the plant manages that by itself :)
Obviously best would still be conditions in which the plant manages all by itself.
Praise is mandatory.

sporehead

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 10:19:14 PM »

They're about an inch tall,  now erect and strong enough to support the weight of the seed coat. I'm going to look at them later. Hopefully the coat is moist enough to shed 

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »

It also appears the seedcoat isnt intendet to split, much more it is designed to come of as a whole / the seedling pulls its leave out / the seedcoat can be pulled of the seedling if time has come. Also a little tampering with the seedcoat at the end where the stem emerges might help, have no fear as the inner seedcoat is thick and the actual cotylodons appear to be coverin no larger crosssection inside of it than the stem does.
Praise is mandatory.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 12:59:30 PM »

Leaves curled downward, too dry ?
Praise is mandatory.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 01:05:06 PM »

Its possible. I start mine in a humidity dome them acclimate after a few leaves. Add humidity and see what happens.
Spreading love!

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 12:50:56 AM »

Confirmed, sealing everything tightly with tape upped the humidity which in turn made the leaves come back into shape. Could also be the sun downing, who knows.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:53:00 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 02:13:57 AM »

They like sun. My little guys are still chilling in semi shade though. Soon to hit full light after their first transplant.
Spreading love!

sporehead

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 03:00:41 AM »

Missed a watering and now they're toast! Hoping some seeds are late to germinate.
Pages: [1] 2