Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flowers for Bees  (Read 19665 times)

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Re: Flowers for Bees
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »

We seriously have like a hive worth of bees that come to the datura every evening when the flowers start to open. Wonder who's eating that honey  :o

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 12:59:45 PM »

solanaceous honey sounds deliriously delicious (or deliciously delirious) to me... would make for some interesting experiments but idk if a)pollen collected by bees would contain the medicinal/toxic compounds, b)if the honey does contain such medicinal/toxic tropane alkaloids (and if so, then what would the average concentration be?), and c) if I would have balls big enough to dive that deep into 4 days of tropane-induced hell
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:37:12 AM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 11:08:14 AM »

I agree completely. Part of me, the morbid masochistic part wants to try it; the other, intelligent part is terrified at the very thought. Never tried tropanes, but the experiences sound both interesting and terrifying from my reading.
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

bezevo

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 05:31:28 PM »

my  largest    T. Pachanoi  bloomed  this week  the honey bees have been all over the blooms .

if the bees made honey with just these flowers  would be  interesting .

on side note  I was spritzed  this cactus would bloom raised in a  pot .

anyway the bees loved it.
I GROW !

zone 5b

Greenmystery

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 08:49:10 PM »

https://fb.watch/7IjKVeUebQ/

Let's get those unused spaces useful for our beloved pollinator friends....
"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

Greenmystery

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 08:57:03 PM »

Can't seem to figure out how to add a YouTube link
Site won't let me??
But another interesting watch is-

Bee extinction:Why we're saving the wrong bees

Check it out

"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

woolmer

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +5
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2021, 10:01:36 AM »

But another interesting watch is-

Bee extinction:Why we're saving the wrong bees

Check it out
Thank you for this very interesting :)

geezer

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 04:31:28 PM »

I keep bees and grow somniforums. The bees go nuts for the pollen but I can't say the honey from them is doing anything analgesic, dammit.

There's a lot of talk about bee extinction. I seriously doubt nature will permit it. My own 2centsworth is that all the noise about bees vanishing comes from two places. First - bigtime professional beekeepers who don't give a damn about bees unless they're making money. The shit they do to make zillions of bees to ship around the country is absolutely positively anti-natural. Then there's a great deal of noise when all this non-natural keeping ends up with a bunch of dead hives cutting into their profits. Blame and lawsuit somebody.

Second - amateur beekeepers, newbs, know nothings like me five years ago. Gots to tinker with those hives, ya' know? Tinker tinker tinker and the poor little critters don't stand a chance of getting established and surviving  a winter. Then when we kill off our own hives we go looking for an explanation and there's tons of youtubes giving exotic reasons for why hives die off and only a few that point the finger where it belongs -> dummies who ignore the basics and try to skip ahead to the glory stuff. Seriously, new beekeepers should have to do an apprenticeship or something before being permitted to open their mouths about the hobby. Long before the internet or even the printing press people had this stuff figured out. It's all this free floating "information" about the science that's going to hurt the captive bee populations. I believe the wild bees will be fine if their habitats aren't paved over.

Rant ends.....

There are a small handful of very good educators out there, some on youtube. You'll have to decide for yourself who's in it for the profit and who's in it for the continuation of this very worthy hobby.
all about the cactus
Pages: 1 [2]