Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: suggestions needed please  (Read 14322 times)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
suggestions needed please
« on: November 25, 2013, 09:41:31 PM »

Okay first off I want to explain what I want to do...
I want to start a seed business at some point asap.
Its what I want to do in life...wish I started sooner. Either way I still can but I have a lot to figure out. Should I get an LLC business license and sell to nurseries started plants? Or should I go with no license and sell seeds and plants online like on eBay or something? Not sure how lucrative eBay would be after their fees and all. I want not really to make much money as that crap is irrelevant but the biz has to be successful and make a modest profit if I want to live off it. It would also be more convincing for the wife if some profit was involved.

After figuring out the route I want as described above I must then have a sufficient means at which to keep the biz perpetuating. Both in supply and in quality products. I need to get plants big fast and disease free with little expenditure.

Too much to consider at the moment as I have not the financial backing of start up cost. Loans aren't a great option as I don't currently make shit. Eight bucks an hr here in sunny expensive Florida.

Space is another major issue. It is pretty limited but what I do have can fit a considerable amount. Its all about keeping a rotation of stock I guess.

Mainly I'm dreaming here but this is what I want...any thoughts? Thanks peace
Spreading love!

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: suggestions needed please
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:17:59 PM »

I'd say you need at least a quarter acre if you want to start a business which will pay the bills. Focus on small cash crops like ginseng, salvia, etc. It may actually be a lot more profitable to sell cuttings and plant products rather than seeds.

What USDA planting zone are you in?

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:20:27 PM »

Not sure if this helps, but 20 years ago, a guy started selling small plants at a swap meet every weekend. Now he owns the largest nursery and local grow op in that city.

Start small, feel it out, follow your heart.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 12:41:23 AM »

Seeds are much more profitable than plants.
Much much more, especially if you want to stay small and don't plan on employing staff.
Only a good looking plant will sell, and its only the perfect size for a limited time. Shipping, pots and soil cost too.
Plus the refunds and replacements for lost and DOA which is much higher when dealing in plants.
A $5-$7 profit is a $25 plant for me on eBay.
Hardly worth the effort.
A sad crappy looking unloved bug eaten plant, will produce a heap of seed regardless.
How many seeds are in a pumpkin?
How many packs of seed is that, VS maybe $2 for the actual seedling plant or the pumpkin fruit.
Seeds bro.

I wouldn't bother wholesaling to nurseries either, as you only get a buck a plant(and half that is costs) and they want 100+ at a time.
All that space and time for bugger all.
But retail in your own website and/or eBay you sell say 16 little plants for $25, its more profit, its less time and work, and most importantly, less room so you can have more varieties.
Then as you are growing more stuff, you are relying on the supermarket less, so your actual needs are just the rent or mortgage really.

Barter a load of fruit and vegies with the dude at the petrol station, for your weekly fuel.
That's about all you need.
Its a holiday then not a job. 8)
And just about every $ earned is a $ saved, as there is nothing you need to spend it on.
If you act professionally, but not cold and aloof, and go out of your way to make folks happy, word spreads and soon you will have more sales than you can or want to handle.
Won't take long,(especially with your range of plants) and just ignore the profits in the beginning.
Focus on making other folks happy with theirs plants seed service or whatever.
Then at worst, all you have done is make others happy so the good karma will catch up anyway, even if its not in an immediately monetary form.
Money always comes when you need it.
Seriously.
Every single time you need it, an opportunity comes.

Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 01:02:14 AM »

I've been selling cacti seeds online for a while now. I buy bulk and then put up adds online and I make a nice little proffit.  This is just on ebay.  I agree with fairdinkum in that seeds are more profitable. I've also been selling cuttings and stuff too randomly. Rare cuttings though, so they sell themselves pretty fast.

If I were you I would start with a seed business and then take it from there.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:04:00 AM »

How many seeds are in a pumpkin?
Probably a few hundred maybe.
How many salvia plants can you get off of one mother plant per week? My average is 6-7 and they're worth 30-50$ each.
How long does it take to grow a pumpkin? Like 4+ months right?

I still say plants are worth more.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 01:39:42 AM »

I definitely see both angles as being profitable with different species. Yes I agree loph and trich seeds would sell themselves no doubt but so would salvia cuts rooted or not. I want to do this scratch that have to. I want to save and share these beautiful species to anyone willing to grow and love them. Its what I am here for I know that. Its all about making it happen I guess. It seems eBay is the best mode of operation. I guess I'll figure out how to start there I do have an account but I've never sold a thing.
Spreading love!

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 02:01:01 AM »

Just so you know, ebay will lock your seller account if you try and sell salvia cuttings. You can thank the media for that.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 02:08:29 AM »

Thanks for the heads up. I can relate its worth a lot but I couldn't risk it either way it isn't cool down here with that plant. That one is novelty for my collection only...and private trades in the future haha.
Spreading love!

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 01:09:33 PM »

Look into registering as a ¨sole proprietorship¨ if you want to register as a business. Its alot cheaper and less strict.  If you need some seeds or something to help you get started let me know.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:08:56 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 09:04:24 PM »

I've been reading into this a bit myself I hope to get something started one day. Seeds sound like the easier way to go at first. In Florida I know you're supposed to get a Nursery License if you plan on selling plants in dirt. It doesn't cost much, but they do send someone out to inspect your plants. I need to read more to see what all they are inspecting for. It'd probably be worth it to get eventually if you plan on selling plants so your business is legit, but it seems like it'd easier to get started just selling seeds.

Just realized you're supposed to register for a seed dealer license in Florida. The registration fee varies depending on your projected sales for the year.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:49:27 PM by Greentoe »

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »

Well, id think youd have a farmers market in the area that you could sell veggies at. Which is somthing noone else has brought up. Local produce is increasing in demand quickly.

Also, these articles may help ya out as far as starting up. Theyre about getting $ for farmland without a loan, but what ya wanna do sounds similar :)

http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=844.0
http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=961.0

Another thing, that i wish i still had the link for, was going to peoples backyards to start maybe a 10x5 veggie bed. They said it started at $40 a week, per bed, per yard. But that includes planting and harvesting. But still, thats ~160$ a month if ya did it similar.
Ill see if i can find the link

^thats all just for getting $ to start ya out :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:22:13 PM by PermieGing »
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »

Thanks guys all good things to consider. Permie I think I saw something about a lady who went around gardening plots in peoples back yards for some kind of payment. I think either like you said weekly or monthly and in some of the produce. Its quite an idea but I don't have any credentials to show people I'll actually make use of their money. I'd also be taking the chance I could actually do it lol. I'd like to hope I could but
gardening doesn't always turn out the way you like.
Spreading love!

gator

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +12
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 12:19:03 AM »

I started selling cuttings on ebay in May of 2013. I've profited at least $500. I've been interested in selling cuttings/seeds of rare plants. I viewed some links of orchids selling for $300+ on ebay. Plants are seasonal. I had way more sales in the spring and summer than the colder months.

Seedling88

• Trading Score: +1
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 07:27:55 PM »

No advice for you, but I give you my best wishes in following your dream!