Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cats Cats Cats  (Read 14069 times)

Da-1

• Trading Score: +3
  • peyote pup
Cats Cats Cats
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:40:33 AM »

Hey ev1

Ok so here is my problem, and plz don't think I don't like cats I had 2 give mine away :(, ok so here it is my neighbors have about 11 cats and 7 dogs, the cats keep coming over and digging and craping in my veg and herb garden, the reason is the dogs nextdoor chase them when they doing their bizz, so then they come here and do there dirty work, 1 I have no problem if they use my yard there is plenty space! But they doing it in my garden and killing my seedlings and my hard work!!! I need 2 know if any 1 has a method for keeping them out? I have thrown water on them chased the with a broom lol, I don't wana hurt them but enough is enough I have lost almost half of my seedlings through this war, I don't have cash 4 expensive setups and would love a sensor water system 2 chase them when they climb over but like I said cash is low, I am willing 2 try anything!!! I have tried chili powder and that works ok but when it rains gets washed away!! I won't try chems as that might hurt my plants and or the animals and I don't wana do that I just want them 2 stop, all help is wanted and needed, thanks for reading and sorry about the rambling a bit angry this morning.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Cats Cats Cats
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:44:24 AM »

Put a trellis around your garden with mesh netting on top. Have you tried this?
Cactus = Life

Da-1

• peyote pup
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 06:00:43 AM »

Hey NW

Thanks for the reply bud, I have not as I don't have any $$$$ for fencing, its between R20 and R40 a meter here in SA and the garden patch is about 18 meters R360 upwards and I don't have that @ the moment!! I also don't see why I have 2 spend so much just 2 keep their cats out my yard is that fair? Sorry if I seen cynical 2day I just can't take it anymore, I am watching my hard work get flushed down the drain :( many thanks again for the help but I need something else plz.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 06:05:46 AM »

Make a spray bottle with water and a small pinch of chili powder. Sounds mean but its better than the alternatives and leaves no lasting effects ( other than the cat having a bad memory of the experience).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:11:14 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Da-1

• peyote pup
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:37:29 AM »

Hey Nanashi

Many thanks for the reply my brother, I have tried the chili powder method by spreading it on the ground so when the sniff it they choke and leave, I have not tried spraying it in a bottle @ them, I will try this but as there are so many cats and I can't be there all the time, that leaves a big window open for them 2 kill wat seedlings I have left, I don't want 2 cause trouble with my neighbor's but hey its my garden and its not really fair, why have so many animals if u don't care for them all!! Thanks for reading and all help and advice.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:01:43 AM »

Bugger that, set a snare and then compost the bastards. At least they will have a use then.
Braid fishing line or thin wire on a swivel.

Tell the owner of the murderous vermin>
"If they enter the property again they just wont be leaving. Nothing personal.  ;) Hope you understand."

Then set the snares, problem solved one way or another.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:05:28 AM by fairdinkumseeds »
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:24:32 AM »

^^^

That's pretty messed up. I wouldn't kill them just because they're doing what they're instinctively motivated to do.
Cactus = Life

fairdinkumseeds

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »

If you could see the damage they do over here to the wildlife your opinion of them would soon change.
Cutest, fluffiest, most adorable little blight on the environment you ever did see.

Regardless, if you say it with a blank look on your face without emotion or anger, just as a fact, I'm sure the owner of the problem, would soon sort it.
He could put in a sand pit for them, tie up the dogs, or even better, just lock them up.
If not, you score some compost!
Everyone's a winner!!!
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »

Compost was my first thought fairdunkum, glad someone said it.  ;D

Also, if you use cooking oil instead of water the cats will NEVER think of returning. For about a week every time they try to clean themselves they will get a quick reminder. That or a nice big rat snake in the garden.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:10:56 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »

While the idea of killing a cat that is shitting all over our beloved plants may be appealing, it is illegal, at least in my neck of the woods. I had this problem last year and mulching with grass seemed to help.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »

I'm lucky that my cats don't do anything to my plants. He chills in my grow room all the time and just smells the plants without touching them.  But I do grow cacti so i'm sure if they tried to eat any of them they would "bite back"
Cactus = Life

Da-1

• peyote pup
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »

Hey ev1

Many thanks for all the replies, I would kill the cats but I can't bring myself 2do that and sleep @ nyt knowing I had done that 2 them, and yes the seeds are replaceable but that's not the point wat if there were not replaceable? I have gotten 2 a point where I wana kill them but can't!!! I have spoken 2 the owner and they sent over a small piece of fencing but does not cover even the lil patch that is there I would need a lot more then that hahaha :o the lady says wat must she do they cats, I told her she's not the 1 stepping in it and smelling it, and its not fair on me as I have lost some money and my hard work, she did say that they would try put a litter box down outside so let's see if that helps!!! I don't wana make trouble with them as they nice ppl and we get a long but lately its been getting out of control, they done some arraignments with there garden and now the cats have no where 2go do their dirty work but my place, I will try the oil method and more chili maybe a mix of the 2 will work better, maybe heat up the oil with chili powder and fresh chilies and then put that down when its cooled? And then maybe some grass mulch over that? And yes it is illegal 2 kill pets here where I stay but like I said I won't be able 2 sleep after that even though I am so angry, many thanks for letting me vent out my anger and many many thanks for all the gr8 info and input its much appreciated, I will try a few of these methods combined and give some feed back, a friend recommended some stuff called pissoff I need 2 still look in2 that will keep ev1 post, thanks for reading.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »

I can see why people would kill invasive feral cats that're messing up the local ecosystem, but when it comes to somebody's pets that's a whole other story. I'm sure you wouldn't like it nanashi if somebody killed one of your dogs because it went in their yard.

I hope you find a solution though buddy. Keep us updated.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 11:15:28 PM »

(TL;DR) Citrus peels, vinegar, motion sensor alarms, pie tins that clang when there is a breeze, dogs, Pavlovian conditioning with firecrackers, plant coleus/rosemary/garlic, and trip wires. All of them have varying degrees of effectiveness. I recommend using a combination of as many as you can.

Looking for a natural cat deterrent solution? Cats invading your yard or garden space can be destructive and unsanitary, especially when they choose the area for unhygienic purposes. Though many communities have rules against allowing cats to roam at large, many do not. This can result in unwanted cats being a hassle for some home owners. You can be a cat lover and still not appreciate a neighbor's cat turning your herb garden into his private restroom. Even a feline fan tends to not appreciate hoards of strays taking advantage of a birdbath as its own private buffet. Here are ten things that can be done to deter neighborhood cats from spoiling outdoor enjoyment.
Pepper the earth. Most cats do not like the smell of black pepper, but sometimes great quantities is needed to make an adequate cat deterrent, and it must be replaced after a rain. The good thing is, using pepper is a natural solution that isn't unsightly, and it is reasonably cheap.

Citrus peels can be unappealing. Many animals do not care for the smell of citrus peels and will avoid areas where bits of peel are left, so it is a great natural cat deterrent. It is recommended that peels are freshened up regularly. Unfortunately, this method is not always the tidiest looking, but it is affective on felines. Some have even found success using citrus spray, furniture polish with orange, or watered-down citrus scented dish detergent.

Vinegar is not just for windows. Vinegar spray is a great homemade cat deterrent. Just mix equal parts apple cider vinegar and water and spray areas the cats love to hang out. It will neutralize a lot of the cats' calling cards and improve a cat's disinterest in a particular location.

Make sure they are all scardy cats. Feline intruders can be scared by general methods like aluminum pie pans (disposable type) Tied loosely to a stake so that they can dangle and clang, this homemade cat deterrent offers both noise and movement to keep kitty too nervous to stick around. Sprinkler systems and ultrasonic alarms, especially those that are motion-sensor operated, also offer a great way to frighten off a cat without harming it. Unfortunately, many scare methods are not very aesthetic.

Predator sign says stay away. Predator sign like big-cat scent is said to do wonders at frightening off domestic cats. The strays will catch the hint that your property belongs to a much bigger kitty, and for most, that's enough to keep them away. Big cat sign is available through gardening specialty stores, some hunting outfitters, and some zoos and big cat rescues.

Dogs are not a cat's best friend. A dog is a great homemade cat deterrent for a stray feline. Most cats will not invade a yard that is frequented by dogs, and those who are adventurous might soon find reason to quickly exit once they realize a canine is keeping watch.

String some tripwire. Adding a taught string to the top of your fence is a great cat deterrent. Cats can't walk along a string, and crossing it is uncomfortable for many felines. Oling the top of a wire fence has a similar affect, as does adding two-sided tape to favorite surfaces.

Plant a deterrent. A variety of coleus has an odor to it that cats can detect, but most humans can't smell it unless it is bruised. The variety Coleus Canina makes cats leave an area where it is planted. Rosemary, garlic, and rue are other herbs some cats just don't like. Anything with a very heavy perfume can work but it varies from cat to cat.

Take away temptation. Put a lid on a child's sandbox to prevent litter confusion, and do not throw out kitchen garbage to attract hungry felines. Put arched screen covers over soft plant beds. Put curved screen on the base of birdbaths and feeders so cats can't jump on them.

Light fireworks. While considering the laws for your particular community, a noisy firecracker thrown in a yard will deter a cat. Just don't throw it at the cat. It will take a few days of watching for the invaders and quickly lighting a noisy firework to frighten the animal.

One of the best natural cat deterrents is educating the owner of the offending cat. Sometimes, cat owners have no idea that their pet is causing neighborhood disharmony. Though this is a highly sensitive matter, but in areas where the cat problems are relatively bad, it may be a good idea to get a community pet control law passed. This is one of the most cat-healthy methods, because a cat that is well controlled is better cared for, less prone to outdoor accidents, and is less likely to get lost. Roaming strays without owners should be rounded up and referred to a local rescue or humane association with which they can get necessary shelter, protection, veterinary care and nutrition.

http://voices.yahoo.com/homemade-cat-deterrent-tips-8631873.html

fairdinkumseeds

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 12:04:43 AM »

Had a mate that set up "party poppers" on tripwires for the neighbours dog.
Only like $2 for 24 of them in the supermarket here(and I reckon it would only have to get each cat once), but I'm not sure if the cats would push hard enough to pull the trigger. If not, you might have to set up tripwires with drop weights that do the actual firing.
A coke bottle of water balanced on a stake, trip wires connected to the bottlecap, and then connected to the party popper strings. Only takes a tiny brush to unbalance the bottle, and the heavy bottle falling off pulls the strings on the party poppers, spraying confetti at the cat and making a loud bang.
$3 to set up.

Snare is still cheaper and a guaranteed fix though, and if the cats and wandering round crapping everywhere, then they are definitely wandering around killing shit, as is their instinct, no matter how well fed.
No dramas with an inside cat, or in an enclosure, but semi-feral is irresponsible IMO.
Think Mogwai.

One of the best natural cat deterrents is educating the owner of the offending cat.
Exactly!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:46:52 AM by fairdinkumseeds »