Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Self pollenation & cross pollenation log  (Read 26087 times)

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: Self pollenation & cross pollenation log
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2013, 01:06:59 AM »

The only way I could see it having more genetic variation is if there was a mutation. Do you think that a mutation would be more likely as a result of self pollination as opposed to a pup?

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2013, 01:55:25 AM »

I think that you would have the same chance of a mutation with cross polinated seeds and self fertilized seeds.  But i dont really know enough about this to give you a good answer.

I know that sometimes a pup will show mutation even if the main stock isn't mutated and monstrose traits can show up in a plant long after it started growing. It seems pretty random.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2013, 01:58:27 AM »

It would be best imho to cross with another plant of a different variety to increase its diversity. Though if a plant shows great traits as is, I don't see a reason not to have it self pollinate. Anyways, sorry for being off topic. Commence self-pollination talk. :)

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »

It appears that it did not fruit at all or the fruit is taking some time to appear. Gymno seeds dont come from inside the flower. The seeds would have been inside a brightly colored soft bodied ¨berry¨ that grows from underneath the flower.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:09:37 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »

Ooooooooohh. You thought the flower was the fruit?
Cactus = Life

Da-1

• Trading Score: +3
  • peyote pup
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »

Hey ev1

Sorry been really busy this side, all that happened was the flower dried up and fell off, there is a white round indent where the flower once was, and yes I thought he seeds came from the flower :o lol nothing has grown out in the flowers place, I will take a picture later to show you`s but it will be with my phone the camera I was using is not here but I should get it this weekend so maybe I will wait till then  ;D many thanks for informing me that it should have a fruit for the seeds and mine did not make 1 so I guess no seeds for now, thanks for reading and all the advice.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2013, 11:48:10 PM »

It can take up to a month for the fruit to start forming after the flower dries up. It will be big and bright colored and fleshy. I'm guessing that the fruit is still getting ready to come. I've had a fruit show up 2 months after the flower dried up before. 
Cactus = Life
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]