Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: straw bale gardening  (Read 16601 times)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
straw bale gardening
« on: October 13, 2013, 01:56:51 AM »

Ran across this idea the other day and it seems as if it could be very effective.

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/07/straw-bale-gardening/

http://www.growandmake.com/straw_bale_garden

What you guys think?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:58:24 AM by MadPlanter »
Spreading love!

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
Re: straw bale gardening
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing MadPlanter. It seems like it would save a lot of costs compared with building/buying raised beds and purchasing all the soil and compost necessary to fill them. Could even work as a guerrilla gardening approach for disused car-parks. I'd like to see some side-by-side comparisons with soil media.
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

prasada

• Trading Score: +59
  • plants are the prasada
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:23:44 PM »

Good post,  I did this on top of soil full of gravel. It worked well.
     Allthough I did get mice in there,I think heavy watering got rid of them. 
      Putting out the bails in fall, will condition them .
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:11:10 PM by prasada »

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:29:46 AM »

Do you all think the pH of the decaying hay would change the pH of the rootzone substantially?

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 06:49:30 AM »

The pH does change over time, but the change was not substantial enough to affect production. This is regarding root crops such as potato or carrots, I do not know how it would affect other plants. The most important part is making sure the hay is cured properly or it will rot before harvest ime.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:23:16 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »

At some point I'm gonna try the hay thing but cannot just yet. I just replanted part of my in ground garden yesterday with fall and winter veggies. Collards, turnips, mustard greens, pak choi, and am probably gonna add lettuce, carrots, radish, broccoli, and cauliflower here soon too.
Spreading love!

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 01:30:53 AM »

Nice got 2 fat fields of Phalaris, will give this a go this year.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 01:56:05 AM »

Wonder if using phalaris could effect alkaloid content in the plants you grow in it.

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »

Maybe. You have to make a really nice mixture with bone/fish meal and make sure it's not too salty but with lots of nitrogen.
From what I've read sometimes the addition of Phalaris as a mulch/garden bed can sometimes have detrimental impacts
on plants but I've given the mulch a try a few times with no problems. Probably detrimental for other "weeds" attempting to grow by the plants.
I know that the content of a mushroom substrate is sometimes enhanced when Phalaris is used and the cakes are dried.
Will report back at the end of the season with experience using the bale method on trypt carrying plants, some medicinal, and ornamental plants as well, possibly comparing potency of the tryp/medicinal plants with non-straw grown plants. Love this straw bale idea.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

solaritea

• Trading Score: +48
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 03:20:14 AM »

I've done the straw bale thing a few times and have been happy with the results. Even it you don't get good results the first year you'll be left with some nice compost and improved native soil the second year.

I liked rice straw better than wheat straw. Far fewer weeds and wheat growing in the beds. Some rice tried to grow but it doesn't survive. In theory wheat straw should have little to no wheat seed, but I found it had a lot in my area.

What I found worked well was to lay out the bales, maybe in a 2x3 block for a single bed, leaving them tied up. Separate them about an inch apart. Then pour compost or manure on the tops and down the one inch cracks. Gets some other good nutrients in there and starts the bale breakdown off good.

You'll probably need to fertilize heavier than you would in the ground.

Potatoes did really great and were super easy to harvest and pulled out clean - no scrubbing needed. New potatoes and amazingly delicious.