Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Don't know where to go from here w/ Peruvian Torch seedlinsg  (Read 5809 times)

cucumber

Don't know where to go from here w/ Peruvian Torch seedlinsg
« on: October 07, 2013, 12:49:26 AM »

Hey guys,
so I started some Peruvian torch seedlings nearing the end of spring - I know, a little too late to start them, but I thought that the Midwestern summer wouldn't be too harsh for them. I made a soil mix with compost/dirt (with fertilizer in it), coir, and perlite. I haven't fertilized them since, because I figured the fertilizer in the soil was probably still sufficient. Now, however, it's starting to get chilly and I don't really know what to do with them at this point. They're not very big - 2 centimeters at most. I'm wondering if I just screwed up, planted too late and fertilized too infrequently and now they'll never make it through the colder months, or if there's something I can do to salvage them.  As it is, I was planning to move them indoors and put them on a heating mat. I've got a few cacti but none ever from seed, so I'm just a bit nervous about all the effort going to waste.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:49:43 AM by cucumber »

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: Don't know where to go from here w/ Peruvian Torch seedlinsg
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:43:26 AM »

No worries man just put them in a well lit window for winter and you will be fine. They will survive normal housing temps no problem. No need to fertilize at this point either just let them grow.
Spreading love!

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »

They wont be big for a while, and if it's cold where you are then they probably wont ever be able to stay outside during winter.  They'll do fine inside like mad planter said. They might get a little etiolated inside during the winter if you keep watering them.  I'm not really sure if you can make seedlings go dormant, but that might be a good option (just not watering them makes them go dormant and low light)
Cactus = Life

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 02:54:08 AM »

Yep.  Little to no water - depending on how dry your home is in the winter. House temps sufficient for humans is fine for over-wintering cactus seedlings.  Put them near a south facing window at a distance that doesn't allow convected cold air to reach them.  That will be sufficient light.

S.L.
You say you want a change, then make a change.

cucumber

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »

Thanks. I've never started from seed and so I've been making way too big of a deal out of most things. Can't wait for next spring now.