Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Salvia misting ph?  (Read 4604 times)

Noname

Salvia misting ph?
« on: July 04, 2023, 12:43:14 PM »

Hi friends, i am receiving some salvia D plants this week  ,

I know the soil ph should be between 6.1 and 6.6 so i am going to use a ph downer and add it to my water which has a ph of 7 before watering the soil as the mix I am using for soil is 1 part peat moss+1part vermiculite+1part perlite

Apparently the peat moss I've gotten has some nutrients added to it so it's ph is 7 instead of like 5 and also vermiculite+perlite also has ph of 7

Thus my water and soil mixture all has a ph of 7 ,  thus I'll be regularly feeding the plant with water after I have downed it to ph in 6.1 to 6.6 range

My question is should the water used to mist the plant be also lower in ph like 6.1to6.6 or while misting can i use regular water with ph 7 ?

Any advice on soil and other things is also welcome

I did not search the whole forum friends, after the first few pages I felt like no one would ask such a stupid question , so here it is

Thank you

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Salvia misting ph?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 01:40:25 AM »

I never bothered but then again my sally constantly looks trash.
The only thing that crosses my mind is that in order to shift your waters acidity you'll be adding something that wont evaporate, like your water does. So whatever you're putting in it will accumulate on your plant as the water evaporates and worst case scorch your plant. I know it's done with fertilisers and does work but still. And if you think about it water that gets onto your plants above groubd parts in nature is rain which, ideally, should be pure water, basically distilled. It's pH happens to be 7. That's not saying there couldn't be anything better than what nature dictates but I am saying the plant sure doesn't need it.

If I was you I'd chuck it in soil, water it abd forget about it. If your sally was mine it would just never look quite right.
Praise is mandatory.

Noname

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 07:18:50 AM »

Thanks BubbleCat

But i managed to kill all my cuttings by now, it's a funny story

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 10:50:11 PM »

Thanks BubbleCat

But i managed to kill all my cuttings by now, it's a funny story

I never stopped wondering if Sally either has a genetic disease or perhaps a virus or some pathogen that she just can't seem to escape. Mine is down to one rescue cutting a second time in her decade of lifetime and it isn't looking good.
Praise is mandatory.

Pollinator

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +215
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 11:06:11 AM »

That's a shame to hear Noname. If you're in Great Britain I'd be happy to send you a new one :) I had a look at your profile and couldn't see where you are.

Oh no! I hope yours pull through BubbleCat! It was seed grown from Daniel Sieberts stock wasn't it? Thingy thing I think I read you named it!
Hmm Salvia divinorum could have some pathogen or virus, or it could be just down to the grower and the conditions ;) lol. I've seen others theorise about that online too. With how sensitive Sally can be at times, and sometimes have difficulties recovering from issues it certainly seems plausible that it may have some genetic disease / virus!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 11:07:51 AM by Pollinator »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 06:45:30 PM »

It was seed grown from Daniel Sieberts stock wasn't it? Thingy thing I think I read you named it!

Every thing is a thingy thing but yeah that one. She seems to be doing amazingly well on her own (I was in the slammer, called my mum asked her to take care of it, she planted it somewhere in a meadow and put it back in a planter in fall) and the pattern with me is always the same: Out of concern for her (and laziness and all that) I don't take cutting and that puts all her eggs in one basket. She was really bad before. Right now she's very compact and refusing to grow or really change at all. Fingers crossed.
Praise is mandatory.