Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Best soil for salvia recognita and potentillifolia  (Read 2402 times)

sapla

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
Best soil for salvia recognita and potentillifolia
« on: November 13, 2020, 06:00:27 AM »

Hi,
Some salvia is known to grow in a dry environment and in full sun.
how to prepare a dry soil to adapt to theses species ?
A mixture of sand and "normal" soil is enough?

EyesOfTheWorld

Re: Best soil for salvia recognita and potentillifolia
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 06:17:11 AM »

im not sure to the exact species, but if you want drier substrate you could try mixing small rocks / perlite into the soil

sapla

• Trader
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 07:37:40 PM »

I mixed soil from the garden, cutting soil, sand and perlite. I don't know why, potentillifolia don’t grow, the plant has leaves but the plant is tired and all the young scythe leaves have dried up...
I don't know if the spring will be favorable for new leaves..

cvltor

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 08:15:41 PM »

Did your potentillifolia come back? Did you try different soil mixes with it? I am sprouting some and would love to compare notes. Thanks.

sapla

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 11:13:06 PM »

Hi,

none survived... humidity is very difficult to manage... Tetranychus attacked the plant and then Trialeurodes.
I think that a light soil with sand is necessary to ensure the essential drainage. I always water from below, once for 5 minutes every 1 or 2 weeks depending on the weather. effective pest control products are needed. I am interested in trying to cultivate this plant. keep us in touch...

cvltor

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 10:17:39 PM »

What humidity was its environment at?

I use a 1:1 mix of potting soil and perlite for most of my salvia species. I haven't noticed a benefit to sand over time and gave up on it bc it's heavy to carry. Any reason to think it would not like this?

How did you germinate yours?

Time

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 09:24:33 PM »

Hi,

none survived... humidity is very difficult to manage... Tetranychus attacked the plant and then Trialeurodes.
I think that a light soil with sand is necessary to ensure the essential drainage. I always water from below, once for 5 minutes every 1 or 2 weeks depending on the weather. effective pest control products are needed. I am interested in trying to cultivate this plant. keep us in touch...
Hi.
I'm also interested in Salvia potentillifolia and cryptantha (now absconditiflora). I've found only one seller of seeds, but none of them germinated.
Can you give me some advice on where to buy seeds of these species?
Thanks