Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rhodiola Rosea propagation  (Read 1807 times)

Croissant

• Trying my hand at things
Rhodiola Rosea propagation
« on: June 19, 2022, 12:28:11 PM »

Hi everyone,

i recently got a rhodiola rosea seedling and i was wonder, how should i go about propagating it once it's established?

I found some research papers which are talking about crown division, but that sounds a bit dangerous for the plant as it seems there's only a taproot and i ain't THAT comfortable about cutting it in half lenghtwise

Do any of you have any experience about doing it or another way?
Anything said in this post was made by a dumbass, don't listen to me

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Re: Rhodiola Rosea propagation
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 02:03:54 PM »

What are you keeping it alive in at present? Do you have enough seeds to try different methods out? Trial-and-error is a frustrating yet fascinatingly hands-on way to learn and I've found that i order to grow one plant one must kill ten first.

I have no clue how to go about cultivating this species but recommend you start your trials out by creating conditions that wound imitate the natural ones associated with their sprouting AKA try a bunch of different ways and see which one works and keep us informed.

Mangrove

PS: which variety of R. Rosea are these (e.g. Bulgarian, Russian, etc.)? Where are they being grown at? I ask because the chemical composition varies based on variety and where it's grown at.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Croissant

• Trying my hand at things
Re: Rhodiola Rosea propagation
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 03:10:57 PM »

What are you keeping it alive in at present? Do you have enough seeds to try different methods out? Trial-and-error is a frustrating yet fascinatingly hands-on way to learn and I've found that i order to grow one plant one must kill ten first.

I have no clue how to go about cultivating this species but recommend you start your trials out by creating conditions that wound imitate the natural ones associated with their sprouting AKA try a bunch of different ways and see which one works and keep us informed.

Mangrove

PS: which variety of R. Rosea are these (e.g. Bulgarian, Russian, etc.)? Where are they being grown at? I ask because the chemical composition varies based on variety and where it's grown at.

I only got one plant, almost seedling size with one main taproot and that's about it
Sadly i don't know the plant sex yet as it did not flower since i got it

It's growing nicely as of now but if i get a few it might be a bit more worthwile, that's why i wanted to propagate it

The guy told me they should be the russian kinde, i'm growing them in the south of france tho.

I use about half perlite, quarter cactus soil and quarter all purpose plant soil and it seems to like that blend. As there was a heat wave recently here i watered it 2 to 3 times a week like my trichos and it sprouted a 3rd stem so i guess that's good.
Full sun to light shade i where i keep em

When older they can somewhat easily be divided.

I brought a plant and after doing some research I found out that the flowers of each plant only has 1 sex, so you need a male and a female for more seeds, which is what I want.
After finding that out I ordered some seeds and Ive now got about 15 small plants growing, hopefully I should have a mix of male and female at that number.

Seeds are best germinated with ga3 for this species.

I'm not sure of the country of origin my seeds came from. I got mine from a supplier in Germany if I remember correctly  but I don't know where they originally got theirs from.

Mine are growing well in a general purpose store brought compost (45%) with sharp sand (5%) and perlite (50%) mixed in. % are rough guesses

Ahah if mine shows up to be the opposite sex from yours i'll try to propagate and send one to you ;)
Anything said in this post was made by a dumbass, don't listen to me