Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Time of cuttings  (Read 1513 times)

sapla

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
Time of cuttings
« on: June 15, 2022, 10:25:53 AM »

Hi, I lost a lot of plants this winter because of insects and especially hard-to-find plants. for those that remain, I would like to make cuttings but each time I tried, the cuttings died.
so I have to be very careful with the plants that are still alive : S. melissodoa et crypthanta.
can you tell me the best solution to ensure the success of these cuttings.

For melisodora :the plant tolerates high heat and don’t like humidity. I don't know I have to do a layering or another technique. the stem is very fragile and very thin, it is slightly "wooden", it breaks very easily

sapla

• Trader
Re: Time of cuttings
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 10:35:59 AM »

For crythanta, the plant tolerates high heat very well and don’t like humidity. stems are green and don’t make wood, just green steems. what is the best way to make these cuttings?

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 01:04:46 PM »

Have you tried bending the stem into moist soil to see if it roots?

Many growers tend to take cuttings into water but if left longer then a few cm those roots will die off in soil as they are not air or soil roots that’s why water cuttings tend to droop for a while after transplanting I sure

Water cutting are the easiest however I’d suggest always placing in soil ignition gonna grow hydroponic
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

sapla

• Trader
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 03:44:58 PM »

thank you for your answer,
no I don’t try cause I would have to water the stem from above and the plant don’t tolerate humidity. I water these plants from below in a basin of water.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 09:34:37 PM »

hmm I would working on hardening those plants before anything... I highly doubt the plant is that sensitive but never grew it myself so idk.

I would start by increasing sun exposure and then try watering from above. If this is your only plant then maybe not worth the risk so IDK but increasing air circulation and sun exposure will reduce humidity to stem/leaves. Another thing is maybe change the soil if stays wet too long?

Sorry I can't be of more help
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...