Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: help ID and propagate this variegated wild plant  (Read 1337 times)

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
help ID and propagate this variegated wild plant
« on: May 29, 2022, 04:15:09 AM »

Hello, i found some beautifully variegated weeds, and i'd like to grow more of them.

need identification, if anyone knows what its name is?
(wild weed located south east AL, prefering moist soil)

Also seeking advice on propagation..
(i took a test cutting, from a non-variegated plant* placed in cup of water yesterday, no roots yet)
tomorrow i might try burry stem in a pot of dirt, and try one with a rock to hold it down onto soil)
also think maybe a clear plastic box with moist soil and place cuttings in until they hopefully root)
*(i thought i took a non-variegated test cutting, but looking closer it does have some variegation)*
..andand i noticed some small flowers on some of the other plants, maybe i should wait for seeds?

there is actually two types of variagation..
one obvious with white edges, the other type has yellow streaks..
the first two photos are of non-variegated plants for identification.

extra note: i found a variegated one of these last year in another section,
and it was also growing next to an old creasote log (like used on railroads)
maybe the log leaches chemicals into soil that helps cause the variegation.

additional extra note: photos were taken at sunset so don't be fooled by the sunbeams.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 04:19:54 AM by ONandONandON »
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: help ID and propagate this variegated wild plant
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 06:08:47 PM »

Looks like it could be a Tradescantia or smart weed species.
Spreading love!

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Re: help ID and propagate this variegated wild plant
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 02:09:21 PM »

thanks excellent suggestions, but i think i just found it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diodia_virginiana

"Diodia virginiana is a plant species in the Rubiaceae, common name Virginia buttonweed. It is a spreading, matted perennial with opposite leaves, often mottled because of a virus that attacks the foliage. Flowers are white, cross-shaped with 4 petals. Fruits are green, often floating on water. The species can become a nuisance weed, hard to eradicate because of underground parts that remain behind when you try to pull up the plant.[1]

Diodia virginiana is native to Cuba, Nicaragua, Mexico, Connecticut, and the south-central and southeastern United States. It is known from every state on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts from Texas to New Jersey as well as all the states in the Tennessee and Ohio River Valleys and the southern Great Plains.[2] The species is also naturalized in Japan, Taiwan and northern California.[3][4] "

Definition of mottle-leaf
1 : a zinc deficiency disease of citrus plants characterized by a partial chlorosis, reduced size of leaves and fruits, and stunting. 2 : a virus disease of cherry characterized by chlorotic mottling, puckering, distortion, and wrinkling of the leaves.

the test cutting rooted in about 3 days... now ive got a bunch of cuttings in water.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return