Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rooting diplopterys from softwood without a node  (Read 1842 times)

Kaktus

Rooting diplopterys from softwood without a node
« on: May 21, 2022, 05:01:22 PM »

Greetings, im looking for advice on rooting softwood cuttings of chali, currently the cutting is in a 50/50 mix of perlite and sphagum moss in a large ziplock bag, wetted with hydrogen peroxide to prevent mold.

The lower part of the stem where the cut end is does not have a node present and has turned a lighter brown color presumable being bleached from the hydrogen peroxide, im not sure ifthis is an okay sign or if i should be using spring water instead. No fungal contamination is present but the last two large leaves appear to be starting to yellow and may drop soon.

Should i have it in a soil substrate such as this? Or would a glass of water be better? Any experience with hydrogen peroxide? And how long is the rooting time? Been sitting for around 3 weeks now

Greenmystery

Re: Rooting diplopterys from softwood without a node
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 07:29:11 PM »

I unfortunately have no experience on rooting cuts of Chali/caapi so can't offer any sound advice on that -however if you have access to the motherplant - air layering on plant might give some good results.
Can add that I think it's better when taking a cutting for rooting to cut just below a node and personally found just straight perlite produce better results without rottting on most of the species I've worked with
Bit of root hormone also helps

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:38:57 PM by Greenmystery »
"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 02:45:33 AM »

chali is difficult to root, or maybe there's a secret to rooting which idk,
id suggest no more h2o2, and cut off any brown dead wood from base,
burry the node about to half way in the soil, and use a humidity dome.

alternatively, place in glass of water, and put inside a humidity dome.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 04:31:56 AM »

Best results for me have been with hardwood cuttings in spagnum moss (Best) or potting soil (good). Perlite was a total fail, glass of water likewise.

Humidity dome of course.

Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 02:56:03 PM »

If anyone has some rooted plants I'd gladly trade for one. Have a real nice yellow strain caapi available. Otherwise an immense collection of perennial vegetables and herbs. Stuff like Brazilian Sisso spinach to Magenta leaf plant. Hit me up!
Spreading love!