Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hedge  (Read 2233 times)

sapla

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
Hedge
« on: April 16, 2022, 02:27:18 AM »

Hi,

I am going to make several lengths of hedge and I would like to choose several species of plants to promote biodiversity.
if possible, I will keep installing some plants that we like and which are part of the collection, it can be convulvacaea, ivy or shrubs.

my hardiness zone is 9b, it's -5 for a few days a year, the terrain is south facing, the area is oceanic and the land is quite humid.

do you have any prosition of plants to replace thuja and other traditional plants used for hedges. the plants must not be poisonous or strongly sting and hardly and evergreen.

Thanks for anyone who has any ideas. bye

Greenmystery

Re: Hedge
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 11:39:51 AM »

I'd try and mainly select plants that are indigenous to your area/country (they'll need less attention)and ones that flower at different intervals which will help benefitting your local insect pollinators and birds.
Ones that produce something edible to yourself would be a extra bonus.
"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 11:43:06 AM »

Catha Edulis, Acacia Frimbriata, Acacia Farnesiana and Barbados Cherry make for fantastic hedgery.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 11:24:46 PM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 01:52:57 AM »

grapevine, apple, pear, plum, citrus, roses, willow,
check out these wiki for some other plant options:
there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espalier
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgelaying
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleaching
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

sapla

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 03:10:34 AM »

hi,
Thank you for your answers.
I would like to plant species that have a story to tell or entheogen. catha is illegal in my country but the idea of ​​an evergreen hedge acacia seems like a good idea.

I will look for illicium paviflorum. illicium floridanum looks smaller and therefore easier to maintain, the flowers are more beautiful.

Ivy has many assets like hedera helix ”erecta” or ”arborescens”. if anyone has ivy cultivar like erecta or other, i'm very interested.

thank you very much, don’t hesitate to propose species that could be suitable.
 bye

Croissant

• Trying my hand at things
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 06:46:30 PM »

You could try some passiflora

Either incarnata if you want to grow some MAOI, but they'll die back in winter and show again on spring
Or cerulea but that won't have MAOI effect just some relaxing effects
Anything said in this post was made by a dumbass, don't listen to me

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 07:10:12 PM »

hi,
I would like to plant species that have a story to tell or entheogen. catha is illegal in my country but the idea of ​​an evergreen hedge acacia seems like a good idea.

I will look for illicium paviflorum. illicium floridanum looks smaller and therefore easier to maintain, the flowers are more beautiful.

Ivy has many assets like hedera helix ”erecta” or ”arborescens”. if anyone has ivy cultivar like erecta or other, i'm very interested.

bye

I can fetch you some A. Farnesiana seeds if you'd like. How cold does it get in winter?
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Croissant

• Trying my hand at things
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 08:00:42 PM »

hi,

bye

I can fetch you some A. Farnesiana seeds if you'd like. How cold does it get in winter?

Knowing where he's from, it gets up to -7°C in winter

-7°C is a harsh winter here
Anything said in this post was made by a dumbass, don't listen to me

sapla

• Trader
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 11:27:45 PM »

I am interested in trying to grow mimosa.
my hardiness zone is 8a/8b.

For the moment, I have chosen several ivy cultivars because they allow me to have plant cover all year round and give me leaves to make liquid manure.

I still have a lot of length to do, so don't hesitate to make proposals for species