Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Diplopterys cabrerana seed ID  (Read 6914 times)

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
Diplopterys cabrerana seed ID
« on: January 16, 2022, 05:19:08 PM »

I finally came across Diplopterys cabrerana seeds for sale. Received them yesterday, but I have some questions about the id. Anderson and Davis 2006 says that cabrerana was being moved from a subgenus of Banisteriopsis into Diplopterys. In the article it says that cabrerana seed has no dorsal wing. There is a drawing of cabrerana seed that looks more like a small Alicia anisopetala seed compared to what I received.  Most other Diplopterys species do have a dorsal wing as discussed in the article. The seeds that I received look very much like some type of Diplopterys. I’m curious about others experience growing this species from seed. I also bought Alicia anisopetala seed from them and it looks pretty legit. Fingers crossed for germination!
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

Neebu

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +57
Re: Diplopterys cabrerana seed ID
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 06:33:29 PM »

I am also currently trying to germinate some seeds, which were sold as Diplopterys cabrerana.
Mine are looking like yours...
The seeds I have look somewhat like Diplopterys longialata seeds, but to be honest, I can´t tell, since I am not an expert.

I was successful in germinating one of these seeds a year ago.
As stupid as I am I dug up the seed, to see what is going on and hurt the root, by doing so.
This time I put the seeds for germination in sphagnum moss, and placed them on a heat mat, after soaking in a glass of water for 2 days.
I don´t have much hope that they will germinate, they seem to be harvested in September 2021, maybe they´re too old?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:54:27 PM by Neebu »
"If You Listen, They Will Teach You" - United Plant Savers

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 11:45:47 AM »

Very cool. Where are these seeds being sold?

I grew several A. anisopetala from seeds many years ago. Very pretty vine and did get it to flower twice. Had to chop it down when I moved though. Home owner didn't want most of what I planted. Had a live one in a pot I unfortunately lost the winter before last. Has anyone confirmed activity in that species yet? At the time I think the jury was still out on that.
Spreading love!

Greenmystery

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 03:04:57 PM »

I also just got Diplopterys .cab
Seeds look just like these above
One just broke ground!!

I got mine from GardenShaman
"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

Neebu

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 05:10:01 PM »

Mine are from GardenShaman too.
Saw that The Chacruna Store is also offering these seeds.

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 12:34:34 AM »

Good to hear you’ve got a sprout GM!

Mine came from World Seed Supply. From their website:
We have seen sources use Diplopterys cabrerana synonymously with banisteriopsis rusbyana, but we believe that to be incorrect and offer seeds for both species. Not only does a very knowledgeable local source identify these differently, but analyzing the seeds of both species shows that the structure and even texture of banisteriopsis rusbyana seeds are more similar to other banisteriopsis species such as caapi and muricata. Likewise, cabrerana seeds are quite similar to those of Diplopterys lucida. All of these have a wing, but a more precise comparison makes it clear that there is a difference between the 2 genera.
This conflicts with what little I have been able to find in journal articles and such. I’m still thinking we have maybe some other species of Diplopterys.

Neebu

• Trader
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 09:08:34 AM »

I´ve also read articles, where Diplopterys cabrerana is still used synonymously with Banisteriopsis rusbyana.

Keeper Trout:
Diplopterys cabrerana (Cuatrecasas) B.Gates in Brittonia 31(1979): 109. Diplopterys cabrerana has been often and erroneously referred to as Banisteriopsis rusbyana ever since Morton improperly applied that name to a sterile ethnobotanical collection [Klug 1971]. [Banisteriopsis rusbyana (Niedenzu) Morton is a different plant according to Gates 1982, who examined Klug 1971 and numerous examples of verified B. rusbyana, misidentified B. rusbyana & verified D. cabrerana. It is unclear whether B. rusbyana has actually seen any analysis.]

Gates, Bronwen (1982):
This species is used as an ingredient in the preparation of the hallucinogenic drink variously called “yagé,” “ayahuasca,” “natem.” Its leaves contain the hallucinogen dimethyl tryptamine (Der Marderosian et al., 1968; Agurell et al., 1968). It has been wrongly called Banisteriopsis rusbyana by ethnobotanists and botanists since Morton first misapplied this name to a sterile collection (Klug 1971) of the drug plant (Morton, 1931). Many of the collections of this species have been made by ethnobotanists as voucher specimens of the drug plant and are sterile. The drug plant apparently rarely flowers. It is often planted by the native peoples who use it in secluded places in the forest, and perhaps the few fertile collections may represent escape from such cultivation. Perhaps the natural habitat of this species is riverine; its fruits are well suited to water dispersal with the large air-filled locule and complex lateral winglets which could act as flotation devices. Because of its wide use as a drug plant, it is commonly transplanted by means of cuttings. Perhaps the two collections from Belem are the result of such a transplant.

The Chacruna Store suspects, that these seeds could possibly be Diplopterys longialata (syn. Banisteriopsis rusbyana).

It´s confusing and I give up.
So, long story short, I don´t know nor do I have a supposition, which kind of Diplopterys maybe these seeds are.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 09:54:08 AM by Neebu »

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 08:50:45 PM »

Well whatever it is, one came up so far. The other pots are run through with fungus. I’m have some mancozeb. Maybe I’ll spray the rest with a dilute solution. Or maybe just peroxide?

Neebu

• Trader
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 02:09:47 PM »

So great to see, that you´re succesful!
I´m trying to germinate these since a year.... was just succesful once, but unfortunately the germinated seed died.
At what room temperature do you keep the seeds, or did you place them on a heating mat?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 02:10:57 PM by Neebu »

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 05:01:10 PM »

Up to 3 now! They were on a heating mat with a very loosely fitting plastic dome over the top. I have pulled the ones that have popped out and put them in a sunny window. It was probably fresh seeds that led to my success rather than skill.

Greenmystery

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 05:43:40 PM »

Great stuff!!

Ive unfortunately only had one the seed from my batch of 10 D.cab  pop up and I sowed them on Christmas Day
Even my other varieties have had what seems to me pretty low germination rates
But having said that I have not given up faith in the others(yet!) and am happy that I at least got a few varieties that'll hopefully grow into strong plants in time
"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 01:24:39 AM »

Four popped in total. The one in the front looks a little burned. Could be too much water since it’s been raining a lot. I don’t think it’s been below 50F, but not 100% sure cause I’ve been out of town for a week. A couple of them have a weird cut on the leaf that I think is because of low humidity indoors when they were wee pups. Overall healthy, but I’m moving them under cover to protect from too much rain.

Greenmystery

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 01:02:43 PM »

Awesome psylocke 🌱🌱🌱🌱

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 01:06:14 AM »

Not sure what’s up with the yellow veins, but they’ve been that way for a while. The soil probably isn’t the best, and I don’t know the pH requirements. I’m thinking slightly acid since it’s a jungle plant? I see roots coming out of the bottom, so they should be about ready to pot up. Need to get some better soil this time. My caapi isn’t so picky. I bet she would grow in a pile of rocks!

Greenmystery

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2022, 03:50:58 PM »

Looking good!!
I'd definitely up pot or even better stick them into the ground.
I've started putting some of mine out and they literally just take off!!
Plants sometimes act strangely when they get root bound - perhaps that's what the spots are from
Or possibly something feeding on them(mites)🤷🏼‍♂️