Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Plant moisture meters - Do you use one???  (Read 9854 times)

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
Plant moisture meters - Do you use one???
« on: September 29, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »

There's a dizzying array of (mostly very cheap) moisture meters on the market (E-bay, Amazon and locally).  I tend to be a "Jewish mother" when it comes to watering, and sometimes provide far too much water - to the detriment of my plants.  I know over-watering is the single most common gardening mistake.

So...does anyone use a moisture meter?  Do you have any recommendations for a brand or model?  NGR makes a cheap ($7.00 at Amazon) moisture meter...was thinking of trying that one as a first meter.  It got pretty good reviews (and a lot of them).  Apparently, so long as you keep the oxidation off the probe it gives very accurate readings.

Thoughts?

S.L.
You say you want a change, then make a change.

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b
Re: Plant moisture meters - Do you use one???
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »

I use my right inxed finger with no problems and it was free :)
Hmmm... what does this button do?

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »

I use ones called "Soil Master 'Moisture, Light and pH Meter' ".

The model I use can be seen http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Soil+Master+meter&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=soil+master+meter&sc=0-11&sp=-1&sk=&id=865B3A78B6FA72F6BF873E829682A7F87675A851&selectedIndex=0#view=detail&id=865B3A78B6FA72F6BF873E829682A7F87675A851&selectedIndex=0

these are commonly available, and I do recommend removing the meter from the dirt, and possibly wiping it off with a cloth- to prevent oxidation, like you mentioned.

Shpongle Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »

I use my right inxed finger with no problems and it was free :)

If that was an option, I'd do it.  It's not, for two reasons.  The seedlings of concern are in small pots, and were I to dig down as you suggest, the damage I'd do with my finger would be far greater than the thin probe.

Secondly, on my cacti and other plants, I top dress the pots with small, decorative gravel.  I'd be disturbing that and I'd get soil on top or mixed in with the gravel every time I checked for moisture.

@ Seed Collector.  Thanks for the suggested tool.  Do you find the Ph meter accurate and useful ?

S.L.

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 11:17:29 PM »

I think its fairly accurate for what the soil pH is, however I've heard that testing runoff is a better indication (but I don't usually do that).

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 01:50:51 AM »

I use ones called "Soil Master 'Moisture, Light and pH Meter' ".

The model I use can be seen http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Soil+Master+meter&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=soil+master+meter&sc=0-11&sp=-1&sk=&id=865B3A78B6FA72F6BF873E829682A7F87675A851&selectedIndex=0#view=detail&id=865B3A78B6FA72F6BF873E829682A7F87675A851&selectedIndex=0

these are commonly available, and I do recommend removing the meter from the dirt, and possibly wiping it off with a cloth- to prevent oxidation, like you mentioned.

Surely some models like this can give you a rough idea of some parameters, specially if you do not require precision, but I personally got one very similar once and it's been collecting dust for some time. Nothing wrong with them considering how cheap they are, but I don't think they are very reliable.

For soil pH I ended up getting a decent water pH tester with some calibration solution, costing 50$ as a bargain. You need to use percolation to measure the soil pH, but the good direct soil sensor pH meters are a bit pricey.

As for soil moisture meters, I've never used one... I'm used to estimate following a watering schedule, weighing the pot, touching the soil, and in the case of small containers with fragile seedlings I use transparent containers so any excess/lack of moisture will be visible. If substrate is not sterile and light in the lower parts is a concern, cover the sides with some tin foil and uncover for checking. When in doubt regarding excess moisture and in case of no drainage holes I apply a paper towel wig to suck up excess moisture through capillary action. 

Kind regards,

Mandrake

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »

tooth pick or wooden chopstick, the cheapest ones work best.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:28:56 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Shpongle Lover

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »

Ha!  That's a good idea!  My wife does that to cakes to see if they're done.

S.L.