Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Please assist with identification  (Read 2571 times)

TheGardenShaman

• An amateur student of Ethnobotany & Shamanism
Please assist with identification
« on: August 17, 2021, 10:30:28 PM »

Greetings  :)

I am hoping for some plant identification. All contributions will be welcome and appreciated.

My brain is saying D. cabrerana, however, I have not previously grown it, and I have found one visual reference to suggest B. caapi (via Google lens).

If anyone knows, please do shine some identifying light, and forgive my forgetfulness. I have a new way to store all of my plant actions moving forward so, I won't likely experience this again.

Thank you all \(^_^)/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:53:22 AM by Sanctuario »
I'm a healer
You're a healer too

- TGS

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Re: Please assist with identification
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 09:32:31 PM »

idk i guess it a caapi, it's hard to tell if the leaves are thicker/waxy, maybe it could be diplotery or somethin.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

TheGardenShaman

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 02:26:54 PM »

Thank you, ONandONandON. I appreciate your input. I am hopeful for a Diplo. Hopes doesn't usually change the species though, from my experience, haha.

Attaching some more pictures from this morning. We'll figure it out eventually :)
I'm a healer
You're a healer too

- TGS

TheGardenShaman

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 02:44:19 PM »

I was just on a site this morning actually, and it rather caught me by surprise. It had D cabrerana leaves, and in parenthesis, it said formerly Banisteropsis. I feel fortunate, none the less, for being on this journey.

I see the similarities for sure. We're leaning towards D. cabrerana right now. I can relate to your current picture. I've had some kind of buggies gnawing on a B caapi. It grows incredibly fast! So pretty when leaves aren't being half eaten. Well, still pretty no matter. I am sending yours positive vibes to get to feeling better!

Thank you for sharing!
I'm a healer
You're a healer too

- TGS

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 09:35:33 AM »

[redacted]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:37:24 AM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

DarkPines

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +25
  • I only exist in your dreams.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 01:50:01 PM »

As young as it is right now it looks like a few different genera/species possibly. Maybe wait it out a bit until its a lil more mature and expressing its characteristics more. I have a big Diplo to compare to as well.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 01:50:53 AM »

Dang I'm falling behind lol everyone these days has gotten D. cab other than myself. Actually have had it three times but the first two from Wouter(probably root rot due to thick cuttings with few roots and therefore stayed wet too long) eventually gave up and the other kind member that sent cuttings last year I was unsuccessful with. One did root but gave up shortly thereafter. 

To reply to the topic at hand though...I have grown several types of caapi from seeds. The seedling being pictured does look a bit different than the ones ive grown before. My guess is it is likely D. cab but otherwise it does have a caapi look to it as well in some ways. Obviously they are related too so I guess that goes without saying really.
Spreading love!

TheGardenShaman

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 04:40:52 PM »

I have since started to attempt to germinate several new D. cab seeds. In the event that there are any successful germinations, that will certainly help to close this unknown.

I will of course, post updates :)

Thank you everyone for sharing your feedback.

Anyone else is still welcome to comment too.

Namaste

I'm a healer
You're a healer too

- TGS

Jfart

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 05:56:43 AM »

My guess is caapi but I’ve only had a few of them and they always die for some damn reason.