Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: When to plant papaver somniferum in Weymouth ma  (Read 2041 times)

Fontoking61777

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
When to plant papaver somniferum in Weymouth ma
« on: October 22, 2021, 09:04:06 AM »

Is it to late for me to plant now also is indoors a option or maybe a little bit of both

HortyCulture

• Trader
Re: When to plant papaver somniferum in Weymouth ma
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 07:46:38 PM »

i have never grown papaver somniferum (as much as i want to one day), so i have only looked it up on duckduckgo, which you have probably already done, but this forum is quite slow unfortunately so i thought i would try to help in case nobody with experience steps in.

i am seeing that you can plant them in the autumn (one site recommended middle of september, so you might have to be quick), but they might not grow as well. apparently they are hardy though so it should be okay. the recommendation on one site was to keep half your seeds "just in case".
one site recommended to plant in pots if sowing in the autumn. not sure why but might be worth trying.

hope that helps a little. good luck. keep us updated if you try it, i would love to see how it goes.

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 01:39:26 PM »

I think you're better off waiting until spring.  It's too late now to plant outside and overwhelming consensus is that they don't do well indoors or transplanted.

I find it gets a bit too hot for them usually during our summer so I try to get them in as early as possible.
I usually plant in April and cover with plastic on cold nights, but be sure to remove on sunny days.
I think the best advice I can give is after they get going thin them out and add some good organic mulch around them like grass clippings or a mix with shredded leaves.  This will help them with the warm days and encourage beneficial microbes that are key to healthy plants overall imo.

Toxicodendron

• Trading Score: +88
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 03:28:23 AM »

Good to distinguish the origin of the cultivar. For example:

European and Tasmanian varieties (Blue Seed) do better with a planting in tilled, rich soil just before a long, cold, wet period.

Central Asian varieties (White Seed, Pure Afghan) do better if they germinate sporadically during cold & dry periods.

SE Asian varieties grow fast & finish big in short timeframes. High altitude & moderate temperature with intermittent moisture. Seed color varies, but tend toward blacktop beige.

American & Mexican hybrids have been developed in the high altitude, Sonoran areas or the Sierras. Behave more like the SE Asian varieties (Golden Triangle).

My Advice:

Get a bunch of seeds naturalized to an area similar to your growing conditions, or get a fuckton of poppy seeds from the Asian grocery (white seed & cheap), plant them out in prepared soil at different times of year. Papaver is a quick one to adapt. Buy cheap, plant tons, and incorporate as many central Asian genetics as you can. European genetics stabilize hardiness in the NE USA and extend the vegetative period. Pharma poppies (Tazzie, British) are grown for thebaine (precursor to fent analogues and tramadol). Asian poppies are grown for, well, you know...

Oh, don't plant 'Breadseed Poppies' that are dark seed. Never selected for alkaloids. Papaver is a short season annual. It adapts quickly to human selection.

Also, be careful.