Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: drying salvia D leaves  (Read 1726 times)

sapla

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
drying salvia D leaves
« on: June 16, 2021, 09:21:20 AM »

Hi,
after a spring of control against insects and mold, the problems continue ...

the sd leaves dry on the plants ... I do not know how to avoid this problem which concerns all the leaves of the plant

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: drying salvia D leaves
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 09:25:53 AM »

It's due to lack of humidity. Try either spraying it with water several times per day, or more optimally putting it into a closed terrarrium/tent where you can keep the humidity as high as possible. I had similar issues with it and kratom as well. Got to love temperate climates ;)

Also your soil looks a bit dry. Salvia can basically grow in a cup of water. Though it's usually bad practice with almost all plants to have it standing in water, I'd definatly recommend you keep it damp.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:27:40 AM by Sunshine »

sapla

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 10:38:23 AM »

OK, should I cut the piece dry or can I leave it on the leaf?

valec

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 12:36:38 PM »

You can leave the dry parts, it doesn't hurt the plant.

It's quite common unless you live in tropical humidity. Once they are established plants they can handle it well, some leaves will have dry tips all the time but the plant will keep growing.
While the plant is still small, spraying or a humidity tent can help.

I also support giving it a bit more water, salvia is quite tolerant of damp (not completely wet) soil. One it is a big established plant (> 50cm) you can let it wilt a bit before watering, but at the moment I wouldn't do that. (But notice that they may wilt quickly within 1/2 day.)

Avoid full sun on the leaves, especially at noon the plant should be behind a wall or another plant so to receive only indirect light.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 11:35:00 PM »

I agree with all of the above, more moisture, less exposure etc, but I would also add more nutes. I use a combination of Osmocote and worm castings and they love it. Maybe think about exchanging that clay pot for a plastic one. Helps retain moisture in the rootball.

I have the luxury of being able to let them root in the ground, but my secret for success other than nutes and root space is a misting system on a timer. They get misted for 5 min every two hours on average and they love it. See below!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 11:40:15 PM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.