Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Problem with sign up - verification email doesn't send  (Read 225 times)

SallysMintGarden

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +151
Problem with sign up - verification email doesn't send
« on: April 26, 2021, 10:21:14 am »

Recently 2 people who I brought over to STS, Rastabilly and greatsalt, had problems with the sign up process in that they never received a verification email to complete their accounts and be able to access them. I had to approve them in the admin panel. I thought perhaps this was just a glitch that day as it was on the same day, however I have now seen another report elsewhere on the internet from someone I don't know saying the same thing.
I have now also tested it myself with a dummy account I tried to create and I am having the same issue.

Please can an Admin check on the issue with the email verification issue as I am unable to do it as a Mod.

Many thanks,
SMG

Update 30th April - Another person I brought over, canned.dirt, also didn't receive the verification email so I activated their account in the Admin panel.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:49:40 pm by SallysMintGarden »

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
Re: Problem with sign up - verification email doesn't send
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 01:41:45 am »

This is an ongoing problem. We can gain no new members until it is fixed. I just outfitted a new ethno grower with a mini collection and told him to join but he's encountering the same issue.  Can an admin take a look at this or PM me to try to help set up the account manually?
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 04:04:05 am »

I'll take this to the top and see if we can't get this resolved. 
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

SallysMintGarden

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 11:14:24 am »

You should have limited acceas to the Admin panel as well jbz which will allow you to do this, I will message you how to manually approve their account for the time being whilst the issue is being looked at.

Thanks for your help Bach

SallysMintGarden

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 12:44:26 am »

I've manually activated another 12 accounts which have been waiting to join.
I also sent each of these members a message letting them know there was an issue but its been bypassed, and also welcoming them to the forum.
If anyone else manually activates any accounts it would be good to also send the members a message to let them know its been done.

Hopefully they get an email notification of the message here on STS, prompting them to come back and to try and log in again
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:37:50 am by SallysMintGarden »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 05:03:24 pm »

Hi folks, I've just read this and checked the error log. Yep, its riddled with messages like 'Your email address needs to be validated before you can login. - sophiacx18'.
Now long story short:
Trav would be the qquickest to fix it as he legally has access to servers and knows what they set up.

Long story:
As far as I am aware (its ages since ive been getting my mail) the forum uses SMTP as mail protocol and mail.spandres.com as a provider. I am not 100% sure wether this is the mail settings the forum software uses for the verification email (maybe someone can PM me plaintext code of a signup mail that did go out recently) and wether Trav would mind us doing so but if both is a 'yes' it will be easy to set up a working email account.

Btw has anyone checked if the same is happening over at the nexus or wether the aparent sender of the nexus signup emails has changed recently ? Just asking not implying theres any connection.

Praise is mandatory.