Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Keeping your own seed bank  (Read 3832 times)

Kada

Keeping your own seed bank
« on: April 09, 2021, 08:28:31 AM »

anyone here maintain their own seed bank, or work for one?  i would love to learn more in depth details on this field as i am just a beginner.  especially when it comes to pathogens, viruses, testing, ultra long seed storage etc.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: Keeping your own seed bank
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 03:49:06 AM »

I maintain a couple seed banks. PM me with any questions you might have.

nobody :)
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

sapla

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 10:17:32 AM »

I keep seeds in the fridge or freezer for annuals.

RatsboggleBiological

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 03:42:51 PM »

Do you keep them in a particular kind of container in the fridge or freezer? Do you let them warm up to room temp before opening the container?

So curious about seed storage but I'm unsure so I just keep most of mine bagged in plastic in a cool dark drawer. Haven't had too many go bad on me besides things that are susceptible to declining germination, like Valeriana officinalis. And things like that are fairly easy to replenish.

Extending seed life even 3-9 months by putting them in the fridge would be hugely helpful in my situation.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 10:17:03 PM »

i just keep mine in a box or out on a desk, but i guess if storing for a longer time; could put them in an airtight container in the fridge.
it's good idea to let cooled containers warm to room temp.. or else water from warmer air may condense on the cooled seed packets.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 01:16:32 PM »

In terms of seed storage I wanted to make a note here. Buddy of mine had seeds he bought in mylar bags. He had them stored in the freezer for 3 years and then they sat at room temp for 5 or better years. Some of the seeds such as lettuce etc usually store for no more than a season or two in regular paper packets or zip lock bags. I was 100% sure that there was no way lettuce seeds would be good that long no matter the storage especially after the 5 or so years at room temp. Knew the squash and bean seeds had a chance but most other stuff I assuredly thought couldn't be any good anymore. To my great surprise even the lettuce seeds were good. Not only just good but darn near 100% germination good. I was totally shocked by that. So all in all if the seeds are in good air proof and light proof packaging then they can hold up way longer than usual.
Spreading love!