Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

If a service existed that authenticated an herb with accuracy, would you pay for it?

Yes
No
It depends

Author Topic: Herb Authenticity Tests  (Read 205 times)

river_lotus

Herb Authenticity Tests
« on: March 26, 2021, 06:24:26 am »

There's a lot of fraud in the herbal supplement industry. That's a huge problem. I am building an Arduino DNA sequencer and all of a sudden I remembered this and thought - hey, I could make some money with this! You could do a lot of things with it - check an herb to see if it's really what it says it is, check marijuana to see what variety it is, analyze fungal tissue to determine if it's edible, and a lot of other stuff. You'd just need to send a sample and pay a fee. It gets added to a list of vendors and/or products that are either authentic or fraudulent, I make some money, and you end up not eating something that's accidentally poisonous. Let me know what yall think 8)

sapla

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
Re: Herb Authenticity Tests
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 09:54:25 pm »

it might be a good idea, but i think this need is marginal. if you have that knowledge, maybe doing research on plants that have never been studied in detail would be more useful to the community. (like  the study which shows the potential of some salvia).but I don't know if the same technology is applied

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 10:01:11 pm »

that's a cool idea, it could make some money if you had competitive prices
(you'd have to compete with already existing companies that do the same thing with professional equipment)
if it can be done at home for a low cost, i would be interested to learn more about the process you are using.
could you explain how one translates the gel plate into real information..?
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 02:50:54 pm »

I would be interested in understanding how this works as well. I work in the dietary supplement industry, and I have never heard of using DNA sequencing for identification. The industry standard is TLC or these days HPTLC. I’m guessing DNA sequencing would be more expensive, but potentially more reliable.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.