Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Reusing coco coir?  (Read 1339 times)

Jfart

Reusing coco coir?
« on: February 27, 2021, 05:59:20 PM »

Has anyone reused coco coir?

If someone had a fair amount of used coco coir from growing fungus (cubes) could they reuse the coir in a soil mix. I know fungus can break down organic material. If one were to reuse this coco coir would it be beneficial to sterilize the coir first or leave it as is? This coir has some brown rice flower and some vermiculite in it but I’d think the brown rice flower is a byproduct now and I’m not sure what that byproduct would be.

Greenmystery

Re: Reusing coco coir?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:24:49 PM »

Yeah man
Thatstuff is great to be further used\\recycled into the garden
Best mixed into compost piles or add in small amounts to bottom of holes of plants when when transplanting
I did have a problem once when I used it as a mulch once...attracted a bunch of fungus gnats...hence my approach to rather using in compost piles or burying

"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

valec

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
Re: Reusing coco coir?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 06:05:29 PM »

I often reuse it. Simply make it a bit wet and put it in the microwave, 3 minutes at 900W. That should kill fungus gnats. But for my less precious plants outdoors I also skip that step and simply mix it in with some new substrate.