Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to save my sceletium  (Read 3343 times)

sapla

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
How to save my sceletium
« on: January 27, 2021, 05:18:41 PM »

Hi
my sceletium is weak and does not recover. its stem is pinched and shrunk. I think the foot dries up and leaves mold. do you have a solution for it to regain its vigor? (before he dies)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 06:23:22 PM by sapla »

RatsboggleBiological

Re: How to save my sceletium
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 03:18:00 AM »

Your Sceletium looks okay. The leaves do not like to get water on them, or they shrivel and turn to slime. I suggest you get some medium or rough/coarse gravel to use as a top mulching layer, and try to water it away from the leaves. That way the top will stay dry where the leaves rest, but it can still absorb water. You may benefit from more perlite in your soil, or more drainage somehow from another soil addition.

They are strange succulents but they are somewhat hardy as long as you don't overwater.

valec

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 12:42:57 AM »

Mine actually are extremely hardy. During the summer they were outside with a lot of rain. The soil was almost always quite wet (despite having a good drainage layer below). I was a bit worried but they grew really well. Now during the winter I took them inside, a sunny window in the warm kitchen, almost no water (a little bit every few weeks) and they still grow and grow. I'd say, you can leave them pretty much unattended. Sometimes a few leaves become yellow and dry, but not very frequently.

However, I haven't had any success with rooting cuttings. Those were just rotting away from below.

sapla

• Trader
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 10:39:46 PM »

For the moment the stem is dry and I'm afraid that this will block the flow of sap to the leaves.
The plant is very soft and the stems have no resistance.
I will post pictures tomorrow.

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 05:48:13 PM »

That's totally normal, I think it's actually the reason for the generic name, because of its skeleton-like appearance when older.  I have one in my greenhouse I took from my mother in the ground under an unheated cloche in 8b, both plants are thriving.  They go dormant in the summer but you should see a lot of growth right now if you're in the northern hemisphere.
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire

sapla

• Trader
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 08:04:00 PM »

The stem dries very quickly.
Maybe it lacks light and warmth...
It no grows and the stem continues to dry ...

Greenmystery

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 04:52:08 AM »

The way it's rotting level with soil leads me to believe that a poor draining soil mix with overwatering may be your problem
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:32:41 PM by Greenmystery »
"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

sapla

• Trader
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 01:37:58 PM »

Is it still possible to dry it quickly to try to save it.I'm afraid of damaging it more.
Is there a solution to dry roots it without digging it up?

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 02:27:09 PM »

Again, unless it is suggested, there is nothing wrong with that plant. If it's not broke don't try to fix it.  If you do decide to do something drastic and chop it up or something, you'll find the cuttings root fine.  That is absolutely how older plants look, just look on Google and you'll see a few examples, including the Wikipedia article.  If the sceletium starts to rot the whole affected area turns to true mush quickly, it's how the plant is fermented in fact, but this drying as you call it is normal. Wluld you be concerned if a small tree started to "dry" and then hard when it's getting larger and becoming lignified? It can gets its "sap" too.

Tl;Dr, don't fix what isn't broken. If I'm wrong and it dies I'll send you another one if in the states
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire

sapla

• Trader
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 07:10:39 PM »

Ok I would like to be optimistic,but I think the plant is weakening very seriously

RatsboggleBiological

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 09:02:09 PM »

My Sceletium are suffering similarly. I am about to repot them and see if they do any better in a fabric pot. I think my soil is not very good.

valec

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 11:53:53 AM »

So my sceletium looks similar, but I agree with those who say it's normal. Although, while mine is showing this drying-up behavior, it is also growing like mad. I'm not doing anything special. It's planted in some recycled soil (contains some perlite from earlier soil mixes and was sterilized in the microwave for 3min at 900W). Last summer it's been raining a lot so the soil was always wet. Didn't harm the plant. Now it's inside by a sunny window and kept very dry during the winter. Doesn't do any harm either, it's growing very fast still.

I tried making cuttings using some rooting hormone. One of the cuttings didn't root at all, the other maybe did but isn't growing. Maybe my method of rooting cuttings is bad, but I'd say, probably you'll loose the plants if you turn them into cuttings. I would just hope they start growing again.

I have the impression that they like sun and they don't care much about the soil or the watering. As usual they should not be constantly very wet, but certainly no need to keep them dry like a cactus.

sapla

• Trader
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 07:02:22 PM »

Nice photo. for my part I can’t be optimistic

RatsboggleBiological

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 07:25:22 PM »

I was worried mine would die for a while before and after a transplant but they seem to like the fabric pot.

They had a lot die back and turn brown but some still looks good... i am struggling lots with watering it properly for some reason. Might plant some more just in case

RatsboggleBiological

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 07:25:53 PM »

Maybe it just needs a transplant to soil that gets more air in the root zone?
Pages: [1] 2