Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What is this weird powdery stuff on my leaf (strychnos nux-vomica)?  (Read 3165 times)

Cerere

Does anyone know what this is? I'm thinking either underwatering or some sort of mold. The leaves didn't wilt prior to this, so I'm leaning more towards the latter. They will crumble to the touch, the areas affected are completely dry. Is there any way to salvage it? I'm so sad...
https://i.imgur.com/I0dCnky.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KGO9ql7.jpg
I have a fungicide with copper and penconazole, will that help?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:54:14 AM by Cerere »

BitchCraft

• Trader
Re: What is this weird powdery stuff on my leaf (strychnos nux-vomica)?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »

I’m not 100% on how to save it, but I would recommend trying not to get the leaves wet when you water. Either bottom water or use one of those long skinny watering cans to pour directly to the soil.  It helps prevent mold and fungus issues on the leaves.

Skink

• Trading Score: +30
  • Amateur herpetologist
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 05:24:43 AM »

Sounds like powdery mildew.if you wipe it off the leaves with your fingers and smell it it will have a moldy smell.  A fungicide should def take care of it.
I'm lonesome when you're around. I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself...

Greenmystery

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 08:06:16 PM »

Hard to tell from those pics
But that don't look like powdery mildew to me
How much you been watering??
Light intensity??

"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

SCoffen

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 04:47:33 AM »

I've had fungus gnat larvae kill plants and they looked similar to this on their way out =/ maybe unrelated but check your soil perhaps.

Cerere

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 01:10:11 AM »

I definitely think it was a soil problem. This far only one plant survived, and I must stay it's not looking good. It's just starting to get warmer so I'm hoping that as soon as I'm able to give it more light outside and better ventilation it will be reinvigorated. It looks sick, but it hasn't really gotten worse in a while, so I'm hopeful

RatsboggleBiological

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 02:00:31 PM »

Still have this plant going? What a rarity, I'm curious to see if keeping it was successful.

Cerere

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 02:21:51 PM »

Unfortunately I do not. All my plantlets died for some reason. The seeds weren't too hard to germinate, but they seemed to not really take. There was one big root with little if no secondary roots and only two big "leaves" (dicotyledons), they never grew past that. I speculate it was a combination of poor soil choice and bad growing conditions. I don't have the best setup, my balcony isn't very sunny and it's cold for most of the year, so the plants that can't tolerate the cold temperatures are inside with poor lighting and ventilation. I will be trying again in the future though, once I have more space and I can setup some lights and ventilation
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 02:23:04 PM by Cerere »