Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How soon to repot trichocereus seedlings  (Read 1401 times)

revniggle

• Trader
How soon to repot trichocereus seedlings
« on: November 03, 2020, 11:56:40 PM »

About a month ago I sowed ~500 trichocereus seeds over a few containers. I’m now looking at a few hundred seedlings and wondering when the best time to start separating them is. I didn’t do a great job of keeping the seeds apart, so there are many clumps of seedlings all piled on one another.

So, I ask the community: separate now or detangle later?

Thanks,
rev
Peace and Love

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
Re: How soon to repot trichocereus seedlings
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 05:12:11 AM »

I am assuming that your cacti are preparing for a long winter nap.  Since they will not be growing this winter, (and I have done this in the spring as well, just before growing season) I would suggest bare rooting them now.

Get some welding gloves or heavy leather gloves so you can handle the seedlings and let the soil dry as much as possible.  Shake them loose and use high pressure water hose (seriously they can take some damage and the 'water pick' will air prune some of the weakest roots)   to knock off all the excess soil and separate the entangled little ones.  Let them air dry before shelving them away in a cool dark corner of the garage/cellar/basement. 

When I get my pics organized, I will be posting a comprehensive 4 year grow for some named cultivars soon that will feature this among other things.

revniggle

• Trader
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 02:10:34 PM »

Thanks for the reply. The seedlings in question are tiny and without spines. No gloves will be needed. My intent is to not overwinter these seedlings until next year. They are inside and on heat mats. The roots are currently fine hairs on most of these. You seem to be talking about much older seedlings.
Peace and Love

revniggle

• Trader
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 02:48:25 PM »

Here is what I’m looking at:
Peace and Love

SCoffen

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 06:38:53 AM »

How are your seedlings doing? I don't like to repot mine until ideally  4-6 months at the youngest. I've had to before due to accidents or pests and they will be fine most times. I've noticed changing them too early will temporarily stunt their growth but doesn't seem to have lasting impact.