Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Is this scale?  (Read 2182 times)

Auti

Is this scale?
« on: October 08, 2020, 04:41:03 PM »

Every three days I scrape off this amount of soft scale-like things from the underside of the leaves of my favourite plant. They keep coming back. I can't see a mother scale bug. Is it scale? Where do they keep coming from? This plant is pretty much isolated from the rest of my plants. The ones in the picture are approximately the same size as a flea. Do they reproduce at that size? I took off a few bigger ones last week that were the size of an ant. My plant is still small, so I'm able to inspect every hiding place. If I keep scraping every few days, will I be able to exterminate them? I don't wish to use poison. I would consider using neem oil if manually removing them and spraying Diatomaceous earth fails.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: Is this scale?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 05:04:04 PM »

Those look more like aphids than scale. Neem oil at half strength works well. A cheap solution is - 1-2 drops of liquid soap, 50ml isopropyl alcohol and 450ml water. Mix in a sprayer and spray the plant nightly until the problem stops, usually 3 to 5 days. Make sure to test on a small portion of the plant before spraying the whole thing.

nobody :)
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Auti

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 01:17:31 AM »

I will try the spray but they don't look like the aphids that i'm used to. I've seen green and black aphids. These don't move when touched. They just sit silently on the underside of the leaves. They look Like little oval, yellow, soft shells.

aqualung

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »

the ones I'm currently dealing with, have a waxy shell. I have noticed what appears to be extrafloral nectaries on my caapi leaves. every single leaf has these little yellow, sometimes hard sometimes soft, raised spots that are symmetrically placed, and in comparable positions. It also looks to have vascular framework designed to support them.

Auti

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 07:35:00 PM »

Yes! They look like the extrafloral nectaries on caapi. But they are bugs. With A soft, waxy, yellow, translucent shell. Easy to squish. And a little brown dot in the center. They don't move but they keep coming back every few days. They prefer to hide in the spots that are hard to reach and spots hidden from the eye. Next time I'll try to take a better picture.

Greenmystery

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 08:03:04 PM »

Put some vaseline around the base of plant stem
I've been using a spray on some of my plants which is a mix of bauvaria bassiana and diatomaceous earth
It's been working great
Its effective on mist of the insects that suck and bite plants
"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"